Private own boat tuition in UK.

Chris1961

Visit site
Where should I look for some own boat 1-2-1 instruction other than sailing schools. Do any forum members provide this service. I imagine some must on a casual basis ?
I doubt there aren't lots of skippers with the knowledge and skills to pass it on to someone who requires experience under guidance.

Thanks,
Chris.

johnalison

Visit site
Join a club and make friends who will come out with you. If you have some experience already, they don't need to be of instructor standard to be of use to you.

jac

Visit site
Might be worth saying where the boat is. Most Instructors are self employed and some will work for a few schools if required or direct but they really need to know where they might need to travel to.

Visit site
I can recommend two who would be best suited to the Solent / south coast, and another best suited if you is a Lady. They are all qualified instructors who otherwise contract to the sailing schools, and who will also do delivery assistance - we've used them all at different times to get the boat down to our cruising destination, and one of them specifically to teach boat handling.

PM me if you'd like details.

Chris1961

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.
The boat will be kept on the west coast of Scotland, I am in the borders. Early stages of the buying process on a boat in North Shields, and if it all goes through I'll want to get some tuition straight away.
Chris.

QBhoy

Visit site
Chris
Where in the west coast ? I know plenty of people who would be happy to help, just for the pleasure of sailing. Especially at this time of year when most are taking their boat out the water and would relish a little extension to the season.
My old man and his friends in particular would gladly offer a little tuition if you are local enough.
Currently their boats are berthed on summer moorings in Dunoon, portavadie and a few other marinas in the area.

awol

Visit site
The suggestion to join a yacht/sailing club has much merit. Some have adult learning programmes, all have members keen to help and the wealth of sociable local experience lasts long after a lesson not only on sailing matters but also on maintenance, facilities, which anti-fouling works, etc. - a bit like the forum but with more sensible and pertinent information.
The Scottish west coast is a big place - a clue as to whereabouts you plan to keep her would help. On shore reasonable cost winter parking is getting scarce as is marina space in some places as the anchorages empty - there will be hardly any swinging moored boats by the end of the month.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
"I'm free" :encouragement:

I may be a bit far north-west, but as stated above some of us have boats out of the water now.
Good sailing locally, or extended/delivery may be of interest.

PM me, if you wish.

P.S. There's my swinging mooring available in Loch Ewe til next Spring if you were to be up this way.
No charge, but at own risk.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.
The boat will be kept on the west coast of Scotland, I am in the borders. Early stages of the buying process on a boat in North Shields, and if it all goes through I'll want to get some tuition straight away.
Chris.
How will you get the boat from North Shields to the West Coast? By sea, and I would suggest you hire a delivery skipper and go with him, you will learn a lot in that passage.

laika

Visit site
����

No it's a serious question. To me a good instructor is a good instructor but I recognise that I'm not necessarily the core demographic of the forum. The only reasons I can think of why one instructor might be more suitable for women than another is either something about a given instructor's behaviour towards one gender but not the other or assumptions about differences in what women and men look for in instructors. I'm curious as to which it as and, if the latter, what the assumptions are.

Pauly

Visit site
I totally agree with your sentiments Laika, what amused me was the term 'sexist boor'and the image my imagination conjured up. Apologies for the confusion.

QBhoy

Visit site
West coast up here is stunning, but in case you haven't looked into it too much...it's also probably the most expensive place to keep your boat, in Europe, when it comes to berthing fees.
It's also a pretty unforgiving place, to the inexperienced sailor. Plenty of hazards and the sea state can turn pretty foul, very quickly, especially around kintyre and the hebrides.

Apart from the earlier offer made, there are RYA instructors that will coach you either in their boat or your own. Some are better than others though.

awol

Visit site
...it's also probably the most expensive place to keep your boat, in Europe, when it comes to berthing fees.

It doesn't have to be. We still have the relatively inexpensive option of dropping our own moorings though it now has a tad more bureaucracy than of yore. If you feel the need to step from your car onto your boat with minimal effort then it will cost but that is your choice.
Paying for marinas, paying for RYA tuition, paying for maintenance, (why not have a paid crew?) - none are necessary but your money/time ratio may be such that you make those choices.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
No it's a serious question. To me a good instructor is a good instructor but I recognise that I'm not necessarily the core demographic of the forum. The only reasons I can think of why one instructor might be more suitable for women than another is either something about a given instructor's behaviour towards one gender but not the other or assumptions about differences in what women and men look for in instructors. I'm curious as to which it as and, if the latter, what the assumptions are.

Whenever I have been instructing women, the word that has appeared most frequently in the feedback is "patience".
In addressing the OP's question, I would caution that I think it would be preferable to interact with a qualified instructor, as they are trained in pedagogical methods, whereas your average club member/experienced skipper may not be good teachers, unless of course, that is their day job.

Last edited: