Prior ships

penfold

Visit site
What is it with East Coast and Thames bridges ?

Does Holland and France have the same problem ?
Count yourself lucky you have opening bridges that don't open; the Clyde is obstructed by numerous fixed bridges nodded through planning by GCC and Peel Ports, because Peel have no conflict of interest at all. :rolleyes:

PeterWright

Visit site

In Holland, lifting bridges only disappear when a tunnel has been dug under the waterway so that marine and land based traffic can pass without having to stop and wait for each other. If you rely on waterways charts a few years old, you will get confused by missing bridges, but then looking further abeam, you see the endless streams of cars and lorries disappearing / reappearing underground.

Not so sure about France. Last time I saw the Canal du Midi , a fantastic engineering achievement which predates nearly all of our miniscule narrowboat canals, it was in a sorry state of disrepair, although still navigable at less than design depth. It leaves me concerned that some of Europe's most important waterways may soon be abandoned - I hope I'm wrong.

Peter.

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site

Don't be daft..
The Dutch do maintenance because they understand the trouble that falls out when it is not done. The UK uses roads and maintenance as a scapegoat to be cut in order to prioritise vanity projects.