Princess Riviera 286

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
Another question on this issue please...if I were to change the 130's with AQAD41a's, what else would be required to be changed besides engines? Since sterndrives are 290 duoprop, would it only require a change in the lower gear unit and replace propellers? Any idea on costs to replace all these parts (second hand)? Thanks

PalmaTarga

Visit site
We had one shoot past us in Stockholm last week. I always loved the lines of those when I was a kid, and they still look great. It was an impressive fly-by.

Ferris

Visit site
Another question on this issue please...if I were to change the 130's with AQAD41a's, what else would be required to be changed besides engines? Since sterndrives are 290 duoprop, would it only require a change in the lower gear unit and replace propellers? Any idea on costs to replace all these parts (second hand)? Thanks

Re-engining is not for the faint of heart - not by any means. Add into the mix 2nd secondhand engines, old outdrives and whatever cannot yet be seen....

Cheaper and easier to buy the right boat with the engines you want.

Ron the boater

Visit site
Re-engining is not for the faint of heart - not by any means. Add into the mix 2nd secondhand engines, old outdrives and whatever cannot yet be seen....

Cheaper and easier to buy the right boat with the engines you want.

I would agree with Ferris re if you want the 200hp buy a boat with them

However replacing engines would be straight forward they aren’t hard to remove and re fit, looms would match
Drives would need checking for ratios but not impossible to work out as it’s all proved by Volvo

Cost wise would be prohibitive 200’s for a pair seem to be for sale at 10k
Add to that drive changes and factor in labour if you need to and the bills going to be high

Unless the boats cheap you might as well buy the one with the big engines

I would see trial both options and go from there

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
Thanks for your views, unfortunately yes the option is quite costly..I am only unsure about the price range of the lower gear unit. However, am checking with local engine dealers as a barter of engines could reduce cost to a more affordable one...

Ron the boater

Visit site
You will also need to factor that in exhaust trumpets as the 31 all coolant water goes down the trumpet but 41 has a second relief pipe I believe
The 31 defiantly have a resale value to off set. You may get away with just propping to suit the ratios in the drives but that’s going to be trial and error and duo prop sets are expensive especially if you have to try multi versions till you get it right.
I will be interested in your outcome

I’ve had mine over 10 years and still very happy with it, re engining is something I do ponder but in the event mine runs well and is economical and affordable for me to maintain and keep up together. It looks well in amongst much newer boats and people are always surprised of its age

I always wonder why engines have been removed and if I would be buying someone else’s problems

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
You will also need to factor that in exhaust trumpets as the 31 all coolant water goes down the trumpet but 41 has a second relief pipe I believe
The 31 defiantly have a resale value to off set. You may get away with just propping to suit the ratios in the drives but that’s going to be trial and error and duo prop sets are expensive especially if you have to try multi versions till you get it right.
I will be interested in your outcome

I’ve had mine over 10 years and still very happy with it, re engining is something I do ponder but in the event mine runs well and is economical and affordable for me to maintain and keep up together. It looks well in amongst much newer boats and people are always surprised of its age

I always wonder why engines have been removed and if I would be buying someone else’s problems
Thanks for comment! Yes, been told 130s are quite on demand, and I had also tried one with 200s but lost chance to buy...that's why I know how it handles with 200s! Hopefully price of boat is not out of this world and would make a re-engining more feasible in future, that is unless the 130s give me a good performance around 18kts at reasonable rpms...I believe fuel costs will be cheaper in this case as well

CLB

Visit site
Thanks for comment! Yes, been told 130s are quite on demand, and I had also tried one with 200s but lost chance to buy...that's why I know how it handles with 200s! Hopefully price of boat is not out of this world and would make a re-engining more feasible in future, that is unless the 130s give me a good performance around 18kts at reasonable rpms...I believe fuel costs will be cheaper in this case as well

I have 150hp versions of the 31’s in a 28ft boat and find them a bit marginal. Acceptable, but marginal. Will cruise at 22 knots but rpms have to be held quite high, usually around 3500. I would look for a boat with the bigger engines already fitted and save yourself a whole load of time, hassle and potentially money.

QBhoy

Visit site
Sounds like a whole big mixed bag of worry.

apart from all that..if they have the right engines (they came with many options, some better than others), that is...either the v8 GMs or the trusty VP diesels (and defo not the wee 4 cylinder petrol VPs)...great boats. I’m very familiar with one in particular that had her original VP270 V8s replaced with even more power Vortec V8s. She is under propped, but still managed a genuine 44 mph gps last week. Incredible for such a large heavy boat.
Incredible beam and space for 30ft. Lovely.

Greg2

Visit site
Incredible beam and space for 30ft. Lovely.

This made me smile - not because it isn’t generally true but I am 6’5”, which puts the aft berth completely out of bounds and SWMBO insisted on taking a photo of me in the heads on one we were viewing a few years ago. Squashed doesn’t cover it! :ROFLMAO:

Oxygen1971

Visit site
I have one with 31’s 130 hp. Handles well, love the build quality. It cruises at 20 knots and we have had 27 knots out of it with A6 props. Currently have A5’s which has pulled top back a bit.
It’s economical, has to have a clean bum though.
Friends had the 41’s and found it struggled to get over the hump when full of fuel and people sat on the back.
Had the boat for over 10 years and still happy.
Would I like kad32 or 42’s ..... yes if some came up at the right money !
Hi Ron have you any idea what legs are on your boat mine are 290DPA running AD31Bs . When i put in my engine number into the volvo system it says that the legs are 1.78/1 ratio have you any idea what yours are .
My issue is i have one engine that's preforming perfectly but my second struggles over 2,000 rpm . I have done everything on the engine and fuel side and my guess is my good side got rebuilt with 2.30 / 1 gear ratio at some stage and my struggling side is 1.78/1
The boat is new to me so anything could be in its history but I'm pulling my hair out now before i lift her and start pulling legs apart .
the revs will build as the boat picks up speed but at 2,000rpm she is smoking and destroying the back of the boat on that side .
It feels like your in 5 gear in a car doing 10 miles an hour and giving it full throttle and putting it under Hugh load and she is putting in the fuel but she doesn't have the torque to build revs faster .
Any Help would be much apricated .

Oxygen1971

Visit site
I did compression test , leaking back two cylinders .
Removed head sorted all that .At the same time got injectors checked , turbo overhauled wasn’t seized , and checked all fuel lines .
All back together still the same .

Ron the boater

Visit site
I did compression test , leaking back two cylinders .
Removed head sorted all that .At the same time got injectors checked , turbo overhauled wasn’t seized , and checkePd all fuel lines .
All back together still the same .

Did you check the aftercoolers aren’t choked with oil ?
Tried boost gauges in the inlet manifold ?
Props are definitely a6 ?
Tun it out of a drum ?
Checked the fuel oft pump and internal filter (if it’s an early one)

I’m not sure what ratio mine are although I have tried a pair of drives which came off an old 145hp 6 cylinder and the engines made less than 2000 revs I even changed props to A3 and made little difference
(This temp change was due to having my shafts re machined)
These temp drives are now on a tamd41 and makes full revs

Stick it in gear and manually turn the engine with it in gear and count the prop revolutions then compare that to the other ‘good’ engine

Oxygen1971

Visit site
Did you check the aftercoolers aren’t choked with oil ?
Tried boost gauges in the inlet manifold ?
Props are definitely a6 ?
Tun it out of a drum ?
Checked the fuel oft pump and internal filter (if it’s an early one)

I’m not sure what ratio mine are although I have tried a pair of drives which came off an old 145hp 6 cylinder and the engines made less than 2000 revs I even changed props to A3 and made little difference
(This temp change was due to having my shafts re machined)
These temp drives are now on a tamd41 and makes full revs

Stick it in gear and manually turn the engine with it in gear and count the prop revolutions then compare that to the other ‘good’ engine
Hi Ron really appreciate you coming back to me yes all of the above .
I split the after cooler and spotless .
I put turbo gauge on and as I’m only getting 2,000 rpm and building very slowly the boost matches the good side .
I opened the top of the pump to make sure diaphragm wasn’t split and fuel pin was sliding up and down all ok .
I bypassed the hole fuel system up to the high pressure pump with a direct feed and still the same .if I put into neutral full rpm straight away .
A6 100% . Any chance you would have one if your engine number so I could check what drive you have on the Volvo system ? . If I check the Volvo prop table it doesn’t have ad31b with this 1.78 / 1 ratio but when I check the Volvo system and princess boats they say that’s what was supplied for my boat .
It’s just hard to believe it been 30 years like that but it’s possible as I did track down two previous Owners and they just toddled around in her .

Ron the boater

Visit site
Hi Ron really appreciate you coming back to me yes all of the above .
I split the after cooler and spotless .
I put turbo gauge on and as I’m only getting 2,000 rpm and building very slowly the boost matches the good side .
I opened the top of the pump to make sure diaphragm wasn’t split and fuel pin was sliding up and down all ok .
I bypassed the hole fuel system up to the high pressure pump with a direct feed and still the same .if I put into neutral full rpm straight away .
A6 100% . Any chance you would have one if your engine number so I could check what drive you have on the Volvo system ? . If I check the Volvo prop table it doesn’t have ad31b with this 1.78 / 1 ratio but when I check the Volvo system and princess boats they say that’s what was supplied for my boat .
It’s just hard to believe it been 30 years like that but it’s possible as I did track down two previous Owners and they just toddled around in her .

I’ve sent you a pm

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi Ron have you any idea what legs are on your boat mine are 290DPA running AD31Bs . When i put in my engine number into the volvo system it says that the legs are 1.78/1 ratio have you any idea what yours are .
My issue is i have one engine that's preforming perfectly but my second struggles over 2,000 rpm . I have done everything on the engine and fuel side and my guess is my good side got rebuilt with 2.30 / 1 gear ratio at some stage and my struggling side is 1.78/1
The boat is new to me so anything could be in its history but I'm pulling my hair out now before i lift her and start pulling legs apart .
the revs will build as the boat picks up speed but at 2,000rpm she is smoking and destroying the back of the boat on that side .
It feels like your in 5 gear in a car doing 10 miles an hour and giving it full throttle and putting it under Hugh load and she is putting in the fuel but she doesn't have the torque to build revs faster .
Any Help would be much apricated .
You have turbo problems most likely seized up

Oxygen1971

Visit site
Hey lads just an update .
So i took the boat out of the water at the weekend and went from A6 TO A3 props on my weak engine side starboard .
i tried marking the crank shaft pulley and a prop to figure out my ratios but the props wont turn so there must be some clutch system that engages with revs so that wasn't possible .
so i put the A3 on regardless and took he for a spin and bingo i have standing start 2,600 rpm standing start compaired to 2,000 rpm previous and once up and moving the engine re-acts to the throttle .
I think its going to be a winter project now to take off the big bellows off and try see the driveshaft and turn the props .
Hopefully the back of the boat wont soot up anymore with that engine not been under load like it was .

EdBence

Visit site
I have a 286 with what used to be kad 42s, superchargers have been removed so I guess AD41 P spec. It does take a little while to get over the hump but not a problem. I can cruise very frugally at 2500RPM 18 knots with the turbos not doing anything much. WOT will touch 36 knots on a good day with clean bottom trimmed up. The acceleration from 2500RPM to WOT is astonishingly good. Props are A7s. The back of the boat does sit a bit low in the water but is no issue and I think gives the boat a purposeful stance when stationary. I think it would struggle to get on the plane without tabs. My cousin has the same boat with D3 220s it out accelerates mine from a standstill but not from say 20-30knots and will touch 40 knots on a good day. I'm happy with the simplicity and robustness of my engines and wouldn't swap if it was even an option. Hope this helps.