Princess Riviera 286

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
Hi, I wish to get some info regarding a Princess Riviera 286. Any advice on the boat in regards to handling? Also, it is equipped with two AQ31 Volvo Penta 130 hp and am worrying they are a bit small for her. Any ideas on the cruising and max speed which can be obtained? (and at what RPM). Thanks!

Greg2

Visit site
Friends used to own one - handles very well at close quarters and a good seaboat if a little wet (it was canopy up most of the time in the North Sea). They had petrol engines but I can’t recall what HP so can’t offer a definitive comment on 130hp but would think they are okay in that size of boat. They had to re-engine theirs - direct raw water cooling so beware!

Mr Googler

Visit site
Underpowered. Find one with 41’s...200hp.

still only a 30 knot boat with 200’s. It’s a heavy well built lump ?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hi, I wish to get some info regarding a Princess Riviera 286. Any advice on the boat in regards to handling? Also, it is equipped with two AQ31 Volvo Penta 130 hp and am worrying they are a bit small for her. Any ideas on the cruising and max speed which can be obtained? (and at what RPM). Thanks!
is this the one for sale at Southsea ?

Greg2

Visit site
Underpowered. Find one with 41’s...200hp.

still only a 30 knot boat with 200’s. It’s a heavy well built lump ?

Our friend‘s boat was subsequently re-engined again with AD41 200hp. Way too big and heavy with the boat sitting very low in the water were their thoughts FWIW

Mr Googler

Visit site
Strange....they came new with 41’s

RIN on this forum repowered with KAD 42’s I think. He’d be good to comment.

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
Our friend‘s boat was subsequently re-engined again with AD41 200hp. Way too big and heavy with the boat sitting very low in the water were their thoughts FWIW
So they actually found the 130's better? At the moment I wish to be more informed on the cruising and max speeds which can be achieved without being harsh on RPM

Ron the boater

Visit site
I have one with 31’s 130 hp. Handles well, love the build quality. It cruises at 20 knots and we have had 27 knots out of it with A6 props. Currently have A5’s which has pulled top back a bit.
It’s economical, has to have a clean bum though.
Friends had the 41’s and found it struggled to get over the hump when full of fuel and people sat on the back.
Had the boat for over 10 years and still happy.
Would I like kad32 or 42’s ..... yes if some came up at the right money !

Ron the boater

Visit site
I have one with 31’s 130 hp. Handles well, love the build quality. It cruises at 20 knots and we have had 27 knots out of it with A6 props. Currently have A5’s which has pulled top back a bit.
Friends had the 41’s and found it struggled to get over the hump when full of fuel and people sat on the back.

Cruise revs are 3400

matt_lake

Visit site

We have KAD32s and 290DP drives on our 286. Flat out 36kts and rock solid. Bit wet when the going gets rough. Still love the boat though.

Greg2

Visit site
So they actually found the 130's better? At the moment I wish to be more informed on the cruising and max speeds which can be achieved without being harsh on RPM
Sorry if I wasn’t clear - it was re-engined by a subsequent owner with AD41s but they saw the boat sitting in the water and knowing it well thought it was sitting very low compared to how it did when they owned it. Their thoughts were that the power to weight ratio might be a problem and Ron appears to have confirmed this in his post about a friends boat with 41’s struggling to get on the plane.

Ron the boater

Visit site
Cruising speed is said to be 18 knots at 3100 revs
With A5 we get 19 at 3400 at the moment with slightly dirty bum

When we bought it it had no trim tabs and we found it slammed in some conditions but fitting tabs changed that.
It rides nicely and feels planted in the water for a boat just under 30 ft. Also temp moorings accept its only 28 so a bit cheaper !

Matthewbalzan

Visit site
With A5 we get 19 at 3400 at the moment with slightly dirty bum

When we bought it it had no trim tabs and we found it slammed in some conditions but fitting tabs changed that.
It rides nicely and feels planted in the water for a boat just under 30 ft. Also temp moorings accept its only 28 so a bit cheaper !
The example I mentioned is with trim tabs, I guess that helps with speed and planing, isn't 3400 a bit too much for an engine which tops 3900? Apologies for all these questions, but am quite green on these types of boats

Ron the boater

Visit site
The example I mentioned is with trim tabs, I guess that helps with speed and planing, isn't 3400 a bit too much for an engine which tops 3900? Apologies for all these questions, but am quite green on these types of boats
We’ve done over 1200 hours in it at these revs and not had any related problems
Can’t remember but the manual did say recommend duty