Princess 430 Rear section Exhaust tubes

EssexPrincess

Visit site
My Princess 430 has recently had a survey, the surveyor noting that the rear exhaust convoluted flexible tubes located behind the transom on each side behing the water tanks under the cockpit floor are showing signs of corrosion and need to be changed.
The tubes are approximately 20cm diameter externally, secured at either end by large tube clamps.
I’m unsure whether they are parts supplied and fitted by Princess during build or are unique parts. Has anyone experienced this previously? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
My Princess 430 has recently had a survey, the surveyor noting that the rear exhaust convoluted flexible tubes located behind the transom on each side behing the water tanks under the cockpit floor are showing signs of corrosion and need to be changed.
The tubes are approximately 20cm diameter externally, secured at either end by large tube clamps.
I’m unsure whether they are parts supplied and fitted by Princess during build or are unique parts. Has anyone experienced this previously? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
I've got a 1999 460, probably similar vintage to your 430, it has the same or similar exhaust tubes. They and the large clamps are standard parts and can be supplied by Princess spares or possibly check with third party suppliers eg Keypart. I've just had all my clamps replaced.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Thanks
The 63P should be on 5 inch hose , I use Vetus hose from Vitesse marine , any chance you can post a picture as rubber doesn’t actually corrode , the wire inside does . Perhaps a more accurate description from the surveyor would help your query , indeed the hose clamps do corrode , again you can use the stainless Mikalor ones.

oldgit

Visit site
Was advised to change a exhaust hose due to minor visible cracking on the external outer casing.
After a real PITA operation to remove the old hose all the visible deterioration proved to be merely cosmetic.
The clamp bolts however were on their last legs and the stainless steel elbow installed to change the direction of the hose required some repair due to the carbon in the hose reacting with stainless steel ?
1725694392947.jpeg
A "temporary" repair with plastic metal lasted at least 4 years and was still going strong with two later owners.
Wide choice of good quality aftermarket exhaust hose available.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Is it possible to tell what state the internal wires are in, from an inspection of the condition of the rubber outer?
When i bought my boat the exhaust hoses (Vetus) looked fine. But, the Stb hose was leaking water, about 12" from the exhaust elbow. I anticipated that it would be a real pain to get the hoses off of the elbows and the silencers so i planned to carefully cut along the hose, lengthways, at each end, taking care not to touch the elbows or silencers. I used a thin cutting disk, as the disk cut through the stainless wire the hose expanded considerably so basically fell off of the elbow. So i would say the wire was OK, but the hose itself had degraded. As a matter of course, i also changed the port side hose, whilst doing so i discovered a small leak in that one too, which turned out to be a split in the hose.

EssexPrincess

Visit site
For clarification I have uploaded 3 pics showing both sides.
From the photos the tubes look as though they expand at the ends so unsure whether tube is a detachable straight tube or whether it has moulded ends. your commenta would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3510.PNG
    IMG_3510.PNG
    742.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3511.PNG
    IMG_3511.PNG
    601.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3512.PNG
    IMG_3512.PNG
    619.1 KB · Views: 28

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
OP unfortunately you have a specially made section there as it expands from 5 inch to the exit fitting in the hull, I would contact Princess direct to see where they had it made , the only other way would be to have a stainless steel section made from 5 inch to the larger diameter size .
The exhaust is corroded and requires replacing .

PaulRainbow

Visit site
OP unfortunately you have a specially made section there as it expands from 5 inch to the exit fitting in the hull, I would contact Princess direct to see where they had it made , the only other way would be to have a stainless steel section made from 5 inch to the larger diameter size .
The exhaust is corroded and requires replacing .
I think i'd go for the stainless reducer.

Or, how about a GRP reducer, permanently glassed in ?

EssexPrincess

Visit site
Thanks for your comments, will contact Princess Parts to hopefully locate supplier and go from there. Will update when way forward known.

EssexPrincess

Visit site
Contacted Princess parts who unfortunately were unable to assist. I was told they hold no data for older boats over 10 years. Was advised Halyard were the original supplier but cant get help from them either.
Existing exhaust tubes need to be removed to check dimensions and replaced by unique parts to suit installation.
As VolvoPaul mentioned main tube should be 5"ID, looks like the major diameter at each end is around 6" ID but needs to be checked. I assume the connection at either end are the same fitment size of around 6". There appears to be plenty of space around the exhaust tube, if I were to fit a straight piece of 6"ID convoluted tube connected directly to the major diameter fitments at either end, could that cause a problem with fitment or functionality.
Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Contacted Princess parts who unfortunately were unable to assist. I was told they hold no data for older boats over 10 years. Was advised Halyard were the original supplier but cant get help from them either.
Existing exhaust tubes need to be removed to check dimensions and replaced by unique parts to suit installation.
As VolvoPaul mentioned main tube should be 5"ID, looks like the major diameter at each end is around 6" ID but needs to be checked. I assume the connection at either end are the same fitment size of around 6". There appears to be plenty of space around the exhaust tube, if I were to fit a straight piece of 6"ID convoluted tube connected directly to the major diameter fitments at either end, could that cause a problem with fitment or functionality.
Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
Is the connection 6" at both ends, seems unlikely, why would they have used a special 5" hose....? Seems better long term fix to use standard hose with an adapter. If it's 5" at one end (engine) and 6" at the other, you'll either need 6" hose with a 6:5 reducer at the engine, or 5" hose and need a 5:6 expander at the Halyard end. They could be fabricated in stainless. I’d be inclined to have the hose size fit the engine, and make an adapter for the Halyard.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hose from the exhaust elbow is 5inch , not sure without an engine room photo if it routes to a lift silencer , if so it might exit at a larger size to the hull fitting , I know my Princess 410 was 5 inch to the muffler then 8 inch at the exit fitting that’s glassed into the hull, I’d say this 430 is the same .