Princess 42 on shafts

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi - my question this evening is; Myself and the swmbo are looking to upgrade in around 3-4 years.
and are looking at some princess v42 around 2000 era.
now I have seen some with Kad engines and a couple with Tamd engines - Am I right in thinking that the tamd engines are on shafts and the Kads are drive leg?

and if anyone who has owned or has experience of a v42 give any pros and cons of the boat

Many thanks for any help
Jon

andy59

Visit site
Yep KADS will be drives and TAMDs will be shafts , shafts every time for me , enjoy looking but a P42 would be nicer ;)

Andy Bav

Visit site
and if anyone who has owned or has experience of a v42 give any pros and cons of the boat

Many thanks for any help
Jon

We have a 2010, MkIII. The only gripe we have is that all sinks and showers drain into one of 2 sumps and it is then pumped overboard. Float switch and / or bilge pumps have a habit of misbehaving, and can be a messy fix. We had a “Water Witch” switch added as a back up, but in 2 years of ownership are on our second mid-ships pump, and I have another one on board as a back-up for the rear sump.... which is on its second float switch.

Other than that, we love her.

speedfiend

Visit site
I had a 2002 V42 with KAD300's.
Had her for 12 years and put 1100 hours on her.
Fabulous boat. Only sold to replace with bigger.
As long as you service everything annually there was no trouble at all.
All Anodes needed replacing annually.
Very capable yacht. Crossed North Sea to North Holland from Ipswich maybe 16 times in all very variable weather.
After 12 years needed to replace drives ( expensive) but maintenance for 12 years was very reasonable.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
The Princess 42 is a flybridge on shafts . The V 42 was only available on stern drives, the V40 was available on shafts but were V drives .

Bandit

Visit site
We have a 2010, MkIII. The only gripe we have is that all sinks and showers drain into one of 2 sumps and it is then pumped overboard. Float switch and / or bilge pumps have a habit of misbehaving, and can be a messy fix. We had a “Water Witch” switch added as a back up, but in 2 years of ownership are on our second mid-ships pump, and I have another one on board as a back-up for the rear sump.... which is on its second float switch.

Other than that, we love her.

Bin the tupperware boxes, pumps and float switches that block with one short and curly and replace with a Whale Gulper pump in line from shower drain to overboard with an manual switch on/off.

Best move i ever did, it pups beach sand, short and curlies soap suds , never touched it in 5 years since fitted.

sap_2000

Visit site
The V 42 was only available on stern drives, the V40 was available on shafts but were V drives .
Then what’s this? A very few v42s was made with shafts before they were discontinued. I have heared only 3 or 4 boats or so. One of them are here in Norway. Early V42 with TAMD 73 on V-drives and shafts.

Attachments

• DF5ED00A-6FEC-4520-A51E-A7A58602FAD6.jpeg
    DF5ED00A-6FEC-4520-A51E-A7A58602FAD6.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 5B8A4477-9F91-447C-B882-AF1EA8817AED.jpeg
    5B8A4477-9F91-447C-B882-AF1EA8817AED.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 376ADA13-BEAC-46A3-90CA-643EFF25E5D6.jpeg
    376ADA13-BEAC-46A3-90CA-643EFF25E5D6.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1

sap_2000

Visit site
Most likely a V40 with V42 badges on it....

Nope.
Genuine V42. I have viewed it several years back when it was for sale and also a V40i with 63Ps on shafts.
Layout of the engine room put me off. Mufflers and big exhaust hoses "everywhere". Top and sides of engines very hard to get to and some jobs looked almost impossible.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

Whitelighter

Visit site
Nope. They are definitely sterndrive.

The MK2 is the hardtop that is similar to the V45 and V38

The MK1 V39/40/42 all share the same hull, deck and cockpit.
Only differences are the V39 had Avery short swim platform and then the interior woods, cockpit trims and engine options

sap_2000

Visit site
How can you tell the difference?

The HIN number for once... .
Longer saloon, cockpit (and aft cabin) second. Plus some smaller details like fabrics and colours that was new on the V42.
Like i said, i have been on board the boat pictured above years ago with intention to buy.

Process themselves say the never made a v42 on shafts.
But hey, what do they know...

Did they? I have never seen or heard that anywhere.
Please back up that statement with a source if possible.

Even MBY/ MBM have mentioned the V40/V42i story a few times in different articles and made a point of that the inboard version (i) ended shortly after the V42 was released with a 60k+ price premium.

Have a look at this old post btw...
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?10523-Princess-V40-vs-V42&p=81159#post81159

ari

Visit site

Only differences are the V39 had Avery short swim platform and then the interior woods, cockpit trims and engine options

Incorrect I'm afraid. The V42 MK2 was a facelifted MK1 and came out in 2007 I think. Windscreen profile changed, wet bar changed (to incorporate a barbecue), dashboard changed, cockpit seating profile changed, cockpit table changed (from removable to fixed high/low), interior changed slightly.

The V42 hardtop is a completely different boat. It launched in about 2012 I think, had the sunpad/dinghy garage and a decent sized seating area, had an en suite to the mid cabin, etc. As you say, very similar to the V45 (arguably too similar).

ari

Visit site
The HIN number for once... .
Longer saloon, cockpit (and aft cabin) second. Plus some smaller details like fabrics and colours that was new on the V42.
Like i said, i have been on board the boat pictured above years ago with intention to buy.

Correct. Plus the sunpad version of the V42 got a dinghy garage that the V40 didn't have (V40 just had storage under the sunpad). That's probably the main reason for the stretch in length - to make room for a dinghy.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk

Jez, the V42 hardtop is the Mark3 version .

I’ve never seen a shaft version V42 mark 1 in the uk, I’ll have a hat with John ( Tipton) he is the knowledge of every Princess. Model to come out the factory .

oldgit

Visit site
Once it was not unknown for customer specced oddballs to escape the factory, Princess 37 or 38 fitted with pair of weeny Mermaid 80HP diesels (cross channel swim safety boat) or single engine Princess 35 with single engine and no flybridge on the Thames.
Fairline Corniche around with no flybridge as well ?

Last edited:
Visit site
I had a V42 (2000) which is actually up for sale with Essex boatyards, immaculate and all new nav kit at 105 if I remember, hugely capable hull (Force 7) aft cabin is much bigger than a Targa 43 or Targa 40 , can't recommend more highly.