Princess 37?

Visit site
I have got my eye on a Princess 37 with twin 120hp diesels.
Has anyone owned one of these that can give me the definitive expected speed with these engines?
I have read the report in Motor Boats Monthly and one from Marine Projects and figure vary.
Cheers
Mike

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I would be surprised if you were to get anything much above 12 - 13 knots, at which speed it will be on the hump and therefore very uneconomical.
Out of interest what do Marine Projects say, and what make of diesels does it have?

Visit site
Marine projects quoted a 16-17K max with Cruise at 13-14.
MBM says same as you ie approx 11-12.
Its difficult in this case as boat is on the Thames and its not easy to go out and have a test to really see.
I like the boat but I suspect it would be better to go for one with 180s.

david_steward

Visit site
Re: I know...

Someone with a 37S for sale with 180 hp engines. I know the boat well and it has been upgraded and the engines have had some servicing/overhauls of late. eg turbos, injectors.

If you are seriously looking then I can put you in touch.

They make good sea boats and offer a lot of accomodation for the money.

Dave S

hlb

RIP
Visit site
These boats were made with a choice of hull designs.
Deap V for sea and shallow v for rivers.
You need to see which it is but with the engines in it I'd suspect it is shallow V.
Theres no such word as definative with boat but 12 knots sounds about right but it depends on to many things to go into now.

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
As Haydn says it may well be the river version. If you want to use it primarily as a sea boat I would definitely look for the bigger engine option. Most I think had Mermaids which is good as reliable + cheap and easy to maintain.
Let us know how you get on.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Princess 37 V and Y

If I recall the two hulls were called V and Y. The Y had a keel, hence suitable for river because less blown sideways

JFM

Other threads that may be of interest