Priddy progress

tcm

Visit site
Is anyone else keeping up with this? www.spirit-of-cardiff.com They seem to be doing much better, after the malta incident. Not heard a thing on national news or papers, but praps they're waiting till it gets a bit more possible/likely to break the record. I have no idea what the daily targets are, and the speeds quoted seem to exclude the overall time, just covering the time/distance at sea, which is a bit like blamming along the motorway, having a stop and then all the lorries trundle past. An overall speed, and target and projections would be good, I think, but can't findit on the website.

wakeup

Visit site
In fact i've just ask the SOC team the very same question. It would be really useful to have pace information in their leg reports of . Their reports are informative, but after all it is a race and pace info would be as valuable to the readers as skirmishes with pirates.

I guess they must be behind the pace as I am sure they would shout about it if they were in front.

Off the top of my head the've only done two legs at their target 20knot per day so they must be behind their own pace but are they still on track to win?? Anyone know the position?

tcm

Visit site
Re: rough calcs

if it's about 26,000 nm, doing 20knots needs 1300 hours = just over 54 days at top tilt.

so far, thiv done about 3,400 i think, from the lists. which should've taken er 170 hours = 7 days. But malta incident took three days or so, and early med crap weather, and suez ponderous slow canal.... taken 15days so far. Certainly possible to catch back at the current rate, and be adrift about 10 days, meaning 64 days. Mind you that assumes no more trubs. Another malta, or crap weather, means it's all orf. Touch and go either way, cos not really doing 20knots yet...

DepSol

Visit site
Lets try to keep this SOC related this time no Fred drifts!

They are slightly behind, however, they are aiming at completing it in 60 days whereas to beat the record they have to do it in under75 days.

The two day ( just over 1.5 days act) trip thru the Suez actually took 8.5 hours so that made up 1 day of the lost two days in malta. but as for down to the minute delays I dont know the exact figure.

I will text Alan later but dont expect an immediate reply.

Dom

tcm

Visit site
Re: stops etc. ...

they have to drive the whole way - hence the drive out to the harbour in malta, drive back in, then set off to suez, to eliminate the bit where they got towed.

Need to go faster with this number of stops. Most recent, for example, shows 618 miles @ 19.6 knots. Fine. But 2hr stop drops this to 18.4 knots, worse by 7% and 7% of 60 days is 4 days. Or, at 18.4 knots, 26000nm takes 60 days, plus the 8 spare already used and 2 for panama makes 70.

Alternative workings : 26000- 3,500 = miles left, divide by 18.4 gives 51 days, plus 15already used = 66days 2 at panama = 68. close eh?

We need to see them average twenty-something for this current long leg to india, and off again in under 2 hours.

tcm

Visit site
Re:texting

you can send a message to a mobile phone, and it's easier to miss out the vowels. Er, well, that's not much of an explanation, I'm afraid....

Telephones, right? they havem without wires. and instead of talking to people, you can write a message using the number keypad by bashing the keys once twice or three times quickly per key to make all the letters of the alphabet. Much quicker is to nick barryD's phone which opens up and has a properish keyboard so the texting is mind-bioggling quick until u know that he has a keyboard. His opens up with a "hinge", which is a thing which er sorts of connects the two halves and erm ...

tcm

Visit site
Re: to india

if next leg is 1250nm, 3 days according to clive tully is too long. At 25 knots, it's 50 hours, not three blimmin days, which would make it under 18knots. A cunning plot might be to chuck Clive overboard to save weight, or praps eatim.

jfm

Visit site
Texting in Indian Ocean

Eek, I hope it does work. Else big smashed boat when he makes (thwacks) landfall in Maldives or wherever...... Dya think he checked......

DepSol

Visit site

I dont think he means 3 days as in 72 hours.

Yes but no Clive means an extra watch and no reports.

Clive is also too skinny to eat and I dont know if the microwave has been fixed.

Dom

tcm

Visit site

hum, not totally sure of times there. But assuming that "today" is Monday, then "thursday" must be no less than 60 hours. Flat seas give them a chance to win back some time. How fast does it do with full tanks, i wonder? And will AP blast it (a bit) or careful careful like coulthard?

Clive is indeed alarmingly thin. But nevertheless, he could be rolled out and eaten in sandwiches. I expect that, like any good skipper, AP will have already decided who gets eaten first, otherwise known as the "pecking order"....