Pretty guard wire lashing.

Seajet

Visit site
Not as pretty - and not a fraction as useful, in everyday use and emergencies, as a Pelican Hook.

The excuse for lashings used to be to avoid all round metal and a Quadrantal Error on RDF navigation; as we don't use that now, lashing is a cheap bodge.

If in weather serious enough to need cutting the lashing to recover a MOB, one can well do with the guardwires disabled on at least one whole side of the boat.

If you play with a bucket of assorted shackles, tension when the over-centre Pelican Hooks are closed can be achieved without resorting to bottlescrews.

Out of all the many modifications I've made to my boat over the years, I rate the Pelican hooks as number 1.

Extremely handy when getting in or out of the tender, and at pontoons the top wire can be clipped back amidships ( with fenders tied to the lower wire ) making cockpit access / egress much easier.

Let alone the handiness if someone goes over the side, and once they are hopefully recovered, clip and the boat is secure to operate again.

There is no excuse for lashing guardrails in the 21st Century.

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Agree with Seajet.

If you have to have guardrails.

If they are not chest height, then I consider them a tripping hazard (unless the are netted and simply used to stop 'stuff' (not people going overboard).

I prefer a clear deck and a harness.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If you play with a bucket of assorted shackles, tension when the over-centre Pelican Hooks are closed can be achieved without resorting to bottlescrews.

No need to do that, have threaded studs swaged onto the guard wire and screw the pelican hook onto it.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
View attachment 62353

Does anyone know the name of this lashing or how to tie it?
I quite like the thought of using it on my new guard wires.
Thanks.

It's just an ordinary round and round lashing which then has a series of half hitches over the top. If all the half hitches are in the same direction you get a spiral rib round the lashing. If alternate half hitches are 'reversed' you get a single straight rib as in the photo.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
It's just an ordinary round and round lashing which then has a series of half hitches over the top. If all the half hitches are in the same direction you get a spiral rib round the lashing. If alternate half hitches are 'reversed' you get a single straight rib as in the photo.
That's what I do, a series of half hitches, a spiral rib - I always thought it was called 'West Country Whipping', but others may correct me.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not as pretty - and not a fraction as useful, in everyday use and emergencies, as a Pelican Hook.

The excuse for lashings used to be to avoid all round metal and a Quadrantal Error on RDF navigation; as we don't use that now, lashing is a cheap bodge.

If in weather serious enough to need cutting the lashing to recover a MOB, one can well do with the guardwires disabled on at least one whole side of the boat.

Out of all the many modifications I've made to my boat over the years, I rate the Pelican hooks as number 1.

Extremely handy when getting in or out of the tender, and at pontoons the top wire can be clipped back amidships ( with fenders tied to the lower wire ) making cockpit access / egress much easier.

From the above I assume that you get in & out of the boat opposite the cockpit.
On our boat we never do that. We always climb aboard opposite the shrouds so that we have something to hold onto high up that is higher than the guardrail. This we consider safer when boarding on a mooring as a guard rail is too low to give stability to the person. Especially if it is only the bottom one.
Even on a pontoon we always prefer to board next to the shrouds. This makes it unnecessary to undo the guardrail.
I have never used pelican hooks, but can see an instance where one might snag in a rope & come undone- However, like with so many things I may be wrong. Somehow I think I would stick with lashings, if I did not have my bottlescrews.
There again I would not undo my guardrail to get someone aboard as I have a mast mounted hoist. This, i agree, goes against all recognised methods so possibly i am wrong here as well
But to each his own & I am not saying you are wrong. Just different to me

johnalison

Visit site
Agree with Seajet.

If you have to have guardrails.

If they are not chest height, then I consider them a tripping hazard (unless the are netted and simply used to stop 'stuff' (not people going overboard).

I prefer a clear deck and a harness.
I think the only use of lifelines is when in harbour, when they give some guidance when walking around the deck. It might be hard to sell a boat for offshore use without lines, though.

nemodreams

Visit site
I lash mine so I can cut them in an emergency. Anything that mechanically undo's can rufuse to undo when it has a mind ! - ideally though - I would have lashing, pelican and bottle screw.
Pelican for instant undo - lashing for failsafe - bottle for general adjustment ( wires stretch )
But as poor starving pensioner I have my old rigging screws and lashed cord !

I've always called spiral whipping French whipping.

Seajet

Visit site
One has to get the right pelican hooks; mine are Gibb, which are not made anymore - they simply cannot come undone on their own, and don't jam ether - they have a slight over-centre tensioning effect.

But I have seen good modern ones.

However I have heard of a type which can be knocked undone, which of course should be avoided like the plague - it's a case of trying it in the chandlery.

My Gibb hooks have an eye to shackle the eye of the guardwire to, so the wire has to be short to allow for the length of the hook and shackle.

The modern ones - Seateach chandlery had them last time I enquired for someone - can come with an eye like mine, or can be swaged onto the wire which would be a little neater as long as one got the sums right !

rob2

Visit site
That is one advantage of a lashing as when making it up it is in effect a tackle and can be hauled up tight quite easily. The fact that it should be replaced perhaps annually also encourages one to inspect the whole guarwire regularly. When my wire needed replacing, I discovered this by sliding my hand along it and wondering where the blood was coming from...

Rob.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The modern ones - Seateach chandlery had them last time I enquired for someone - can come with an eye like mine, or can be swaged onto the wire which would be a little neater as long as one got the sums right !

I have these ones : http://premierfittings.co.uk/316-stainless-steel-pelican-hook-adjusters/

8mm swaged studs on the guard wires mean they can be adjusted. Hard to see how they would accidentally come undone and they do have the over centre tensioning that you mentioned.

Seajet

Visit site
Paul,

that's a very good price too, my Gibb hooks were £25.00 each about 20 years ago !

The only snag I can see is your type rely on the shearing strength of the plunger pin; it should be OK, but maybe worth bearing in mind.

I'll take some pics of my wonderful Gibb hooks tomorrow.