Prestige Yachts Factory support

My Therapy II

Visit site
Hi
Am new on here and need somehow with the below.
I am an experienced aviator, had purchased a number of private jets an had over 40 years dealing with aircraft manufacturers, you could have support of the manufacturers no matter how old the aircraft is and even if it has been out of production.
5 years ago i purchased my first 2010 Prestige based in Athens Greece, from day one i started contacting the factory for support, everywhere i turned i was directed to the dealership ( none in Greece) I couldn’t get any help or response from Prestige,

This month am replacing the Prestige 60 with a 680 manufactured Oct 2020. The current owner chose not to have the crew cabin, toilet and shower installed. I needed to purchase the toilet, shower, air conditioning etc kit.
I managed to get a reply from the factory and surprise surprise they said talk to a dealer.

The dealer in France contacted them and the answer was the 680 is discontinued and we don't support it any more.

I was very surprised that a yacht that is still under warranty and almost 2 years old cant get any support , parts nor technical drowning. This is nothing like aviation,

Am i missing something here as i dont understand, would be great help to hear from any one.

Tranona

Visit site
All the parts you need are freely available - Prestige do not make them. Your idea of "support" seems at odds with a cheap production boat. You would get much the same response from a production car manufacturer if you wanted them to put together a "kit" of parts to retrofit major factory fit options. Like car manufacturers production boat builders operate through dealers rather than direct with end users. And, indeed nothing like aviation. Mass production boat builders are just assemblers of parts made by other manufacturers and rely on the aftermarket dealer and servicing sector to maintain the boats.

This does not mean you cannot get the job done - you just need to find a competent dealer who knows the boat and can undertake the work.

Portofino

Visit site
Jeanneau are at the bottom of the pecking order of quality and after market support .
I know there’s brand loyalty but I jumped from Sunseeker……upwards .

Boat building is more wild west cowboy s thrive .Ok there s a modicum of EU type approval to get them to market .
Take your wood deck .Every Jeanneau in every marina it turns black ,it s not bordered .It’s as thin as they can veneer it .
Its outside EU regs so in the Wild West . Not even sure exactly which tree the veneer is off .Doesn’t look after 3 yrs like proper Burmese teak .

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Hi
I am an experienced aviator, had purchased a number of private jets an had over 40 years dealing with aircraft manufacturers, you could have support of the manufacturers no matter how old the aircraft is and even if it has been out of production.
5 years ago i purchased my first 2010 Prestige based in Athens Greece, from day one i started contacting the factory for support, everywhere i turned i was directed to the dealership ( none in Greece) I couldn’t get any help or response from Prestige,

This month am replacing the Prestige 60 with a 680 manufactured Oct 2020. The current owner chose not to have the crew cabin, toilet and shower installed. I needed to purchase the toilet, shower, air conditioning etc kit.
I managed to get a reply from the factory and surprise surprise they said talk to a dealer.

The dealer in France contacted them and the answer was the 680 is discontinued and we don't support it any more.

I was very surprised that a yacht that is still under warranty and almost 2 years old cant get any support , parts nor technical drowning. This is nothing like aviation,

Am i missing something here as i dont understand, would be great help to hear from any one.
Jeanneau are part of Beneteau, the largest volume boat manufacturer in the world...you can read my sagas if you like..but once that boat goes out the factory door, they effectively wash their hands of it...unfortunately it’s the dealership business model...the dealer blames the manufacturer and vice versa...not just boats but very much cars as well...you are fortunate that it doesn’t occur in the aeronautical world...perhaps it doesn’t happen if you buy a submarine...otherwise anything in between, whether it floats, drives or makes toast is like that.
I drive a Tesla BECAUSE they have no dealers...

Switch

Visit site
In the UK Ancasta offer very good Prestige backup. Always found them very helpful in getting spares/info etc. Not much help to the OP I know but just giving a balanced view.

rafiki_

Visit site
Jeanneau are at the bottom of the pecking order of quality and after market support .
I know there’s brand loyalty but I jumped from Sunseeker……upwards .

Boat building is more wild west cowboy s thrive .Ok there s a modicum of EU type approval to get them to market .
Take your wood deck .Every Jeanneau in every marina it turns black ,it s not bordered .It’s as thin as they can veneer it .
Its outside EU regs so in the Wild West . Not even sure exactly which tree the veneer is off .Doesn’t look after 3 yrs like proper Burmese teak .
Sorry Porto, there is no Type Approval for boats. They have to meet the Recreational Craft Directive.

rafiki_

Visit site
Hi

I’m sorry that your first experience of this forum is not constructive. There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folk on here, plus the odd idiot. You will soon work out who is who. While it is true that you are unlikely to get much support from Prestige, there are lots of marine service suppliers well equipped to undertake the mods you need. Is the boat in Athens?

Portofino

Visit site
Sorry Porto, there is no Type Approval for boats. They have to meet the Recreational Craft Directive.
Thx for that .Doesn’t change the thrust of the post .RCD as you correctly call it is not that tight in the boat world .
Any thing seems to pass the bar isn’t high .
I used type approval instead my bad hands up FWIW ?

Have you tried being a masseur ? Bottom left above the 7 th rib , 4 inches to the right …..scratch that itch please :)

rafiki_

Visit site
Thx for that .Doesn’t change the thrust of the post .RCD as you correctly call it is not that tight in the boat world .
Any thing seems to pass the bar isn’t high .
I used type approval instead my bad hands up FWIW ?

Have you tried being a masseur ? Bottom left above the 7 th rib , 4 inches to the right …..scratch that itch please :)
Porto, you have reminded me why I bailed out of this forum before. Thank you!

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
The general after market support is set up for boats in much the same way as for cars.

Try calling the car factory for spares... if you get a reply it's "talk to your dealer".
The boat business is a bit different because boats stay alive much longer than cars, but it doesn't change the hierarchy.

Airplanes are very different. Legislation, regulations, money (TCO), risk and a lot more. In fact no where to be compared to boats, IMO

Last edited:

mcanderson

Visit site
Getting back on topic,

I’m surprised about the reply from the French Dealer. When I owned a Beneteau sail boat I found the dealer support very good. I would get the HIN and try another dealer. Who was the original supplying dealer as that would be a great start.

I’m afraid the analogy with aviation just doesn’t work. The whole design and support models underpinned by international regulation is miles apart .

There is a Prestige dealer in my port and I can go and talk to him if you like. They had a great pop up sales event here last weekend with a good crowd draw.

Andy Bav

Visit site
Without wishing to prolong the OPs agony, I too had an issue with a 2010 boat, back in 2020. It was a well known UK manufacturer, and despite its age, the yard could not have been more helpful, they pulled the drawings and others docs from the original build from their archives, and were totally supportive from diagnosis through to rectification.

I can't say more for obvious reasons, but the point is that the yard was my main point of contact, despite the boat being over 10 years old....

jrudge

Visit site
I always feel the manufacturers miss a trick here. It is all very well saying go to the dealer but unlike cars the dealer is often an office with little or no engineering support and no knowledge of the boats that came along before they were a dealer which is often a short lived experience.

a car Dealer has a computer with all bits on etc. a boat dealer usually has nothing and calls the factory. So the dealer other than taking a margin add no value.

Fairline will sell you parts direct but it could stl be simpler / more profitable.

even worse is when you know the supplier and they can’t supply you as the ip of the part is Fairline’s. I have had this several times.So you know the supplier but still go to the dealer whic goes to the factory who goes to the supplier who you called in the first place

My Therapy II

Visit site
I’m sorry that your first experience of this forum is not constructive. There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folk on here, plus the odd idiot. You will soon work out who is who. While it is true that you are unlikely to get much support from Prestige, there are lots of marine service suppliers well equipped to undertake the mods you need. Is the boat in Athens?
Thank you very much for the information, have a nice day

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Fairline will sell you parts direct but it could stl be simpler / more profitable.
Their parts service has grown quite a lot over the years. Lots of parts available off the shelf and for the trickier stuff just give Fairline the HIN and they'll try and source the part for you.

Fairline Yachts Parts – Fairline Parts

There's also a few other operators who sell parts direct, for example HCS Marine and even myself!

Anyhow, sorry to hear that Jeanneu seem to be unhelpful. I could understand it if the boat was 20 years old but bot two years old.

Portofino

Visit site
I had great support from Sunseeker in the CdA , both the concessionaire and factory .At the time it was a strong sales point the back up side .
They often used to give stuff away , like the Waeco cooler box 12v 220 v switch box’s that notorious go .
I bust reversing somewhere the stern light on the back of the rear seat .They gave me a box with about 20 in all different and said “ find one that matches and bring the box back “ I offered to pay but they had shelves of parts .
Bog failed a vacuflush , the only one on a Porto 35 .The receptionist got the boat up on the screen and said “ it’s your only one , we give it a priority job “ She said within 24 hrs .It was a Saturday and @ ,11, pm two tech turned up and fully serviced it got it going .
I did not know where to start , how to remove the salon steps etc or what parts - duck valves etc to buy .
Bill was €1500 all in with Labour vat etc .Point is they where there when I needed them .

That sort of thing with a small family is priceless.

Kids bust some tiny plastic fly screen tabs pillow fighting .Poole posted them the next day again FOC .
I could go on but I think you get the jist .