Pressure Cookers

Alfie168

Visit site
I got a pressure cooker on a "collect the coupons" offer on cereal cartons when I was a student ( yes its that long ago)I've still got it, but I don't think it has been used for 30 years. I've still got the instruction/ recipe book and some of the suggestions look positively 19th century. I seem to remember it not being the success I hoped it would be, but I'm sure it does some things well. It did seem to remove taste fairly successfully.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
They are a solution to a non-existent problem, and spoil the fun of cooking by hand. A bit like automatic gearboxes or Yeoman chart plotters.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Another vote for the pressure cooker as essential boat equipment.

Reasons:

1. Uses less fuel
2. Emits less steam
3. In heavy weather, should it choose to jump off the stove, nothing happens.

Lakeland do a good one:

Attachments

• DC3BA714-1C71-44BC-8F87-1D3DA470F478.jpeg
    DC3BA714-1C71-44BC-8F87-1D3DA470F478.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 11

Skellum

Visit site
My escapades with pressure cookers have produced some nice meals and some disasters. When making a green lentil Dahl, it’s either soak over night, or pressure cook, not both. The 9 foot high velocity jet of puréed lentil spraying off the kitchen roof was a sight to behold.”

The volcano was rice for us, but luckily the window directly above the cooker was open and it went onto the deck outside. Looked like someone had thrown up!

Little Dorrit

Visit site
For two people a 2 Litre one like this should be ok. My pressure cooker is not used or prized as much as some of my other kitchen tools such as: pans (with tight fitting lids), the quality cooks knife, sturdy chopping board, decent whisk, microplane grater and potato peeler.

Neeves

Visit site
I have a 1l and a 3l PC.

I also have a thermal cooker, different beast to a pressure cooker and better than a slow cooker. It will cook a meal with no power source, once you heat the food up and put it in the sealed thermal cooker.

Mr Ds Cookware – The Slow Cooker that needs No Power

Agree with Paul,

Thermos Thermal Cooker Review - Practical Sailor

At breakfast or dinner, on the boat, you make up your casserole, soup etc. Let it boil for a moment or 2, stick the saucepan in the thermal cooker (they comes as a matching kit) stick the whole lot in the sink (stops it falling onto the cabin sole). 3 hours later its c cooked ready to eat - and still piping hot. keep it a bit longer, say for dinner - then you might need to pep it up - but for overnight passage - easy.

We have a big unit for family meals, a small one for the 2 of us and another small one on the boat for 2-4 people.

We too also have a pressure cooker - its stored in the workshop and has not even been thought of for over 20 years.

I think Mr Ds unit is made in the same factory as Thermos have their's made, in Shanghai. Stanley, who also make Dewar flask type items, make some very small unit and there are a couple of Japanese brands. Cheap ones are not 'Dewar's' - but use polystyrene as the insulation - waste of money. Dewar's are partially evacuated

Jonathan

RAI

Visit site
My biggest hob burner couldn't get a Prestege 3l PC up to the specified pressure. I found a new owner for it.

mullet

Visit site
My scout cooking badge was awarded after I successfully roasted a chicken in a biscuit tin on a fire and I am hoping one day to try strapping an insulated container and chicken to the boat engine.
There’s a book called “Manifold Destiny” that you might like. (I’ve only ever done bacon!).