Power generation: methanol fuel cells

rotrax

Visit site
Quite expensive for the amount of power. The fuel is pure Methanol. The warranty is only valid if the manufacturers fuel is used at five times the price pure Methanol can be purchased for.

Looked very closely at one several years ago. After attending a presentation and questioning the rep. we were less happy. Best thing about them is the lack of noise when working.

Not for us, but things - and prices - might have changed/improved since 2017.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Wasn't aware of these things till only very recently, but has anyone any experience of these?

Was considering maybe adding one of these next winter: EFOY fuel cells by SFC Energy - Product overview

All feedback greatly appreciated.
Several previous threads, but basically, for a cruising sailor, not very cost-effective, a) because they have a limited and relatively short (5 years or so) life and b) because the high-purity methanol is excruciatingly expensive. Most interest from racing types, where weight is at a premium.

I suspect that this type of fuel cell is a dead-end., as it relies on the use of platinum group metals. There is considerable research going on into alternatives that will allow a) a more diverse range of fuels and b) will be less liable to be poisoned by normal use.

libertyman

Visit site
Wasn't aware of these things till only very recently, but has anyone any experience of these?

Was considering maybe adding one of these next winter: EFOY fuel cells by SFC Energy - Product overview

All feedback greatly appreciated.
I installed one about ten years ago. I wanted something that would sit in the background and keep the batteries topped up if wind/solar failed to deliver for any reason. The fuel cell has been good at that but you have to be realistic about expectations - I wouldn't see it as an alternative to a diesel generator. Capital cost is high but running costs per amp-hour have been quite modest. It has been totally reliable, needs no servicing and is pretty much silent in operation. The big downside, which I did not realise when I made the purchase, is that over time the platinum catalyst coagulates and efficiency degrades. When my cell was first installed it delivered 5.5A but this now down to about 3.5A . Okay, it still works but no longer as useful as it was. I would have thought it would be in Efoy's interests to offer a catalyst recycling facility to prolong the life of the product but sadly this does not seem to be part of the offer. Would I buy another one? Hmm maybe....