Pour scorn on my list

Kerouac

Visit site
Hypothetically. If I wanted an absolute BUDGET boat (the less I spent the more time i could stay cruising), what are your opinions on the following boats as liveaboards from UK to the Med then staying around the Med for a couple of years.

Feel free to pour scorn - be honest. If my budget was £15 (plus £5k for refits/gear) would any of the following be suitable or do you know of alternatives.

1. Westerly Konsort
2. Contessa 26
3. Westerly Centaur

Feel free to pour scorn - I'm just doing the sums and looking at options. By the way I'll be on me own (divorce) and will have a monthyl income but looking to buy outright hence the inexpensive research.

You've been a great help in the past hence me looking at ALL the options.

Thanks

Tony

Talbot

Visit site
Heavenly twins Mk 1 or (if lucky ) a Mk 2.
an early 8m Catalac
Prout 26' (cant remember the name)
All will give you a lot more space than your selection, and will be better for liveaboard

snowleopard

Visit site
I'd be surprised if you'd get a multi in anything like usable condition for liveaboard for that price. Bear in mind that if it's cheap it will take a lot of cash to bring it up to spec. The contessa is a good sea boat but you would find it very cramped to live aboard, even for one. A Westerly wouldn't sail as well as a contessa but would give more comfort. The Contessa is a legend for sailing qualities so commands a premium price.

Another budget model to look at is the Nantucket Clipper. Good sea boats (I know at least one that has circumnavigated), very pretty though not too spacious down below by modern standards. A very different possibility is a Janneau Fantasia - one of the first under-cockpit cabin models so lots of space for its length.

Probably neither of these will appeal to you but I hope it widens your search horizons.

Visit site
I won\'t do that...

in fact I would congratulate you on a very good shortlist.
My personal choice would be the Konsort, simply because it has the most space. The Contessa would probably sail the best but as you might be doing a lot of motoring, particularly in the summer, this might not be SO important and the thumping big diesels(25hp) fitted to the Westerlys might be a better choice than the single pot 9hp fited as standard to the CO26 . However the asking for Konsorts is currently IRO £23K and so the Centaur/Contessa might be your only decision. If you've got to get the boat there from the UK then you would probably enjoy the trip better in the Contessa.

Since we have little or no chance of drying out in the med., why not go for a fin keeled version of the Konsort or the Centaur (known as a Pembroke). Not only would the boat go to windward better but you would probably pick one up for less money as bilgers seem to be the first choice for smaller boats in the UK. However, if you DO opt for a bilge keeler you won't need a cradle for laying up in a Med. boatyard, just a couple of planks for the keels to stand on and a couple of wedged props fore and aft.

There is a couple cruising around the Saronic at the moment in a Konsort who can get into almost any of the smaller harbours that bigger boats have to anchor off of. They have a great ventilation system too consisting of a very large office fan sited in the forward cabin doorway driven via an inverter powered by a dedicated battery charged by a solar panel.

Another vertue of the Konsort or the Pembroke for that matter is that they have a conventional shaft drive which is much easier to clear a tangled rope from than a saildrive. We've spent €400 this year so far on a new prop and a diver's services to clear picked up rope debris.

Whatever you choose, yes your budget could get you adequately equipped for the Med. but maybe that Konsort will require a little more capital.

Steve Cronin

Kerouac

Visit site
Talbot - As usual a great help. A Cat would be my ideal choice, and may well go for one. If I do I apologise in advance but you'll be inundated with questions! THanks so much

Snowleapard - Thanks for bringing these two noats to my attention. I think the nanatuckets are gorgeous boats but haven't had a close look at one - I will now.

Thanks!

Tony

Kerouac

Visit site
Re: I won\'t do that...

THanks Steve - it always makes me feel better when I hear of other people using boats in the places I want to. I'm slowly narrowing down the list and your help is invaluable!

Tony

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Contessa 26 is a lovely boat with a very good record but . . . I've only been aboard one once, and was astounded at how pokey it seemed down below.

The Albin Vega is much roomier, but with limited (5'7") headroom - OK for us because we are dwarves, but if I was taller I'd look at the Halcyon 27.

Any of the above will look after you in all weathers and be relatively cheap to keep afloat.

I don't really know the smaller, older Westerlys, but they may have slightly more room and will be strongly built. Probably not as seakindly or fast as the Halcyon, Vega or Contessa though.

The two of us are planning to live on our Vega for at least six months next year, and maybe more if all goes well . . . in a warm climate the whole outdoors is your lounge, so it's really not a problem. Having a boat you can't afford will probably send you ashore quicker than having one that is too small.

- Nick

bobfrost

Visit site
A couple of years ago, having researched extensively, i bought a Contessa 26.

In an ideal world I would have gone for a Vancouver 27 but Bank Manager said otherwise.

Whilst non too roomy below she is built like the proverbial brick s**t house and also has a long keel which I viewed as a big plus (Unless motoring in reverse!).

I've fitted a Windpilot wind vane steering and have sailed her extensively over the past few years a lot of it single handed. (Dover - Scilly last summer).

I had a look at a Halcyon but the reputation of the Contessa swung it for me (26s have circumnavigated).

If you are down Dover way please PM and you can have a look or take her out for a play.

Cheers

Bob

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Hi Bob,

There is a couple drink in my local sometimes who circumnavigated on a Halcyon 27, and a few Vegas have circumnavigated . . . both are rated pretty highly as pocket blue water cruisers. Both have the same underwater profile (long keel with cutaway forefoot) as the 26, but more headroom. The 26 is maybe a tad prettier though . . .

- Nick

halcyon

Visit site
Our Halcyon 27 has done two trans-Atlantics with the previous owners, and they had nothing but glowing reports. The record for our 27 is 170 mile in 24 hour run, though they admit to Gulf stream assistance.
Theres at least one on a circumnavigation at the moment.

Brian

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Avoid Mk 1 & 2 as they had wooden keels and the coach roof needs strengthening under the mast if not already done.

Have seen good (read needs modernising) Mk3 for 18k ish up to 25 for a sailing no work needed model.

While looking through this months PBO I was thinking about Tony's posts. Looking at most under 40ft monohulls you cannot leave the saloon table up all the time and keep good access around the saloon. This is going to drive him nuts when working as he will need the table and possibly have things like laptop, printer paperwork etc laid out which he might want to leave over night if working late.

This would really shorten the list and knock most half boats off in his price range.

Just some thoughts Tony.

Kerouac

Visit site
Hi Bob - Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in Yorkshire! If I'm ever down there I;ll drop you a PM. Also thanks for great advice.

Nick - Also thanks for great advice. I'm 6'4'' so I'm going to suffer unless I buy an Ocean Liner but I live in an old cottage so I'm used to it!

I'll look into the Vega - I don't know it. I must admit I'm leaning towards the centaur. I'll be living onbaord for around 2 years, but as you say, in the good weather it's not too bad.

I'll get her to the Med by coast hopping if I have to - I'm in no rush. The saftey recoed seems OK - anyone know otherwise? I'll probably go around Biscay after running her for a season around the UK to get to the Med.

Financially I could afford more but this way I won't have to worry about finances too much and will only have to work (onboard) a couple of times a week IF I can sort out internet access.

If anyone has any experience of taking a Centaur outside the Uk I'd love to hear about it.

As usual a BIG thanks to all

Tony

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Kerouac,

Whilst I agree in general with the comments re the Contessa, and having sailed one a lot years ago, I think you will find it almost intolerable for living aboard, especially in the Med. I'm thinking particularly of providing adequate ventilation as well as the tiny living space available. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They sail nicely but are incredibly 'wet' and, as has been mentioned, are very cramped for their length, especially for someone of your stature!

No, if money allows, the Westerly would be the best choice of the three you note. The Konsort sails at least as well as the Contessa (I've sailed both many times) and in IMHO is better all round, but you will pay a lot more for anything decent. Your latter post re 'leaning towards the Centaur' make sense, as these are readily available, provide good space for their length and, whilst not perhaps being the most nippy of sailing boats, would be great for the Med. where there is a lot of motor/motor-sailing done. They hold their price well, so that after your 2 year(?) trip, you would almost certainly recover your investment. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have only sailed a Centaur twice so cannot sensibly comment on performance, though three riends of mine have them, and are delighted. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Others have outlined other good boats to consider and I agree with the suggestions re the Halcyon 27 if you want a design-type similar to the Contessa, though I believe you will come to regret the lack of decent headroom/general space for living aboard.

Incidentally, I carried out a structural repair on my friend's Contessa 26 many years ago caused by the mast compression loads beginning to buckle the deckhead underneath, which is poorly supported over the doorway to the forecabin. We fitted a hardwood beam across the doorway with supporting struts down to the hull. This completely cured the problem and took no more than a half days work to do - so not a serious problem, but worth checking if you intend 'long term' cruising.

As Snowleopard has indicated, catamarans in 'go now' condition are likely to be out of your price range, but even if not (and depending on your projected monthly income whilst cruising) you may find the marina costs crippling now in the Med. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We avoided marinas like the plague on our trips to/there, but this is becoming increasingly difficult to do, as the decent anchorages are rapidly being 'marina-ised'! Charges are sky high, especially in the summer months, and are rapidly increasing as demand has now well outstripped supply. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just a few thoughts,

Cheers Jerry

Talbot

Visit site
I bow to your knowledge about the mk 1 & 2 HTs, the problems of insufficient strengthening must have been a bit of a surprise to the original owners! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
It is probably unfair to disregard because of wooden keels, I was coming from a personal perspective of maintenance and not wanting to do any. In reality they are probably better if you hit a rock or something, where the GRP might tear, the wood should absorb.

The mast strengthening prolly has as much to do with people over tightening rigging and that many boats were converted from the original 7/8 ths rig to the MKIII+ masthead rig. The older boats also have a semi-circular door top rather than squared. It is possible that this design was thought to have enough inherent strength to cope.

I don't know all the details, so maybe should not comment. I don't remember where I read it, but I do not a lot of strengthening was added to the MKIII and above, so there must have been a reason.

Kerouac

Visit site
This is all outstanding stuff - thanks guys! It's helping like you wouldn't believe.

I'm still leaning towards the Centaur cos financially it would allow me much more freedom from work - maybe 10-15 hours a week on the laptop. So the table issue wouldn't matter too much - but it's good to know about.

I've also been looking at the Elizabethan 29 which I think is a pretty boat but I can't find half as much info on her as the others. I think I'd be able to keep a Centaur dryer than some of the others and the saftey record for a novice is reassurring.

Someone mentioned the Folkboat but it looks tiny, and also the Victoria 26 but again not too much info on that.

I'm still looking so all comments appreciated.

Thanks again

Tony