Post deleted by danfoley

graham

Visit site
Re: Where Shall I Sail in 2003?

Even a travel agent would be hard pressed to describe the UK as offering sunshine ,downhill sailing and cheap cost of living.

Theres a website about a British charity that sailed an old Admiralty Tender out to The Amazon, it will be used as a river ferry to raise money for local charities.

I will do a bit of surfing to see if I can find the site which may have some usefull info on it.

Nice to be spoilt for choice!

dave_gibsea

Visit site
Re: Where Shall I Sail in 2003?

How about the Baltic? OK not exactly sun and downwind sailing in the winter but they have great summers as the area is subject to high pressure then. I had three great months there a few years back. Everybody is very friendly and the sailing is superb with no tides to worry about. While Scandinavia is not the cheapest place in the world you can live very economically if you make the effort. Oz, yes a great place to sail but a long way between cozy harbours, better to buy a skiff and live on the beach!

Or, how about the west coast of Canada/USA up round Seattle? Lots of fantastic scenery and islands to cruise round not to mention the wildlife. Locals again very friendly.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Dave C

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Brazil

With the real at 3.50 to the dollar, you could hardly find a cheaper place; when it was at par, prices were similar to European standards, and have not gone up much since...

I went down all the Amazon from Pucallpa Peru to Belem with local boats, and enjoyed every minute of what might seem as a boring endless sequence of trees separated by trees. Simply unforgettable.
Upstream from Belem (where you can get last updates charts) there is a wonderful crossing in the narrow delta channels around Marajo island, then up to Manaus the river is so wide it is often hard to see both banks. Going upstream you will still sail near one of the banks, but there is no wildlife apart from egrets and other birds. Wind is often strong and helps you going west.
If you do not have the time of going much further upstream, then I would consider taking one of the tributaries: the Xingu and Araguaia are unfortunately soon blocked by rapids/dams; you can sail longer on Tapajos, Trombetas or Madeira near Manaus. Northern tributaries are usually of black transparent water (sic), eg Rio Negro at Manaus, southern ones are yellowish muddy.
Petrobras publish a booklet with sailing instructions for oil/bulk carriers which has some useful info.
People are very friendly, I would say a few word of portuguese are a must, the country is a continent in itself and out of the main centers people hardly see any foreigners. All Para, Amazonas and Amapa states are very poor, going there openly showing ribs, flashy outboards, fishing gear etc is like leaving 10000 pounds in a public square and wonder why the day after you find none..