Possible pirate ransom impounded

semisimple

Visit site
Suppose the Somalis have the right to control the flow of money into their 'country'.

And maybe if it became difficult to pay ransoms piracy would pay less (just a thought...)

wotayottie

Visit site
thats a bit simple semisimple! the money seized will no doubt be confiscated and vanish, so another ransom will have to be paid to the pirates. who might well be the same people anyway since somalia has no functioning government.

semisimple

Visit site
^
hah - perhaps, or very likely.

But the Somali argument -- from whatever government they have -- is that foreign companies encourage piracy by giving ransoms. If they stopped then it might decrease.

It's the same argument our government gives for refusing to negotiate for a ransom with kidnappers (although they do!)

Whether the policy is a sensible one or not I don't know. (I don't actually know if that's the case here or not, or if it's some other problem)

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
The only way to stop piracy in this area is to completely ban all all vessels apart from transiting commercial ships and yachts.

Lots of locals will complain that they are losing the ability to catch fish and therefore survive.

Easy solution. Catch the fish commercially and give them to the locals for free.

I bet the commercial fishing operation will cost a lots less than the current military operations to stop piracy!:rolleyes: