Portuguese Resident - Coronavirus 19 Daily Round Up

jordanbasset

Visit site
With the number of cases in Portugal increasing quite rapidly I would expect they may start to put restrictions similar to those in Spain before too long.
If they don't I would not be surprised if people do not cross over from Spain to get away from the restrictions here

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
With the number of cases in Portugal increasing quite rapidly I would expect they may start to put restrictions similar to those in Spain before too long.
If they don't I would not be surprised if people do not cross over from Spain to get away from the restrictions here

There was talk on the news just now that all borders with Spain are going to be controlled, which appears to mean no unnecessary travel across. Problem is, many people cross both ways for work and I think most of Gib's workforce lives across the border. There are so far seven cases reported on the Algarve, one being in Albufeira. At this time of year, it has a fairly low population density and clearly air travel is the biggest danger when deciding whether to stay or leave.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Easyjet changed the flight out seamlessly, Ryanair back? Hmm! free change till end of month so will wait till next month to try and change that

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Easyjet changed the flight outnseamlessly, Ryanair back? Hmm! free change till end of month so will wait till next month to try and chsnge that

Had a confirmation email from Ryan yesterday, so far all's well with our flight Lisbon- Mcr 2nd April - IF we decide to take it. In the meantime, who knows what may happen to schedules? From now, surfing, kite boarding, parascending etc. anywhere on beaches is banned and so are groups of more than 5 people on the beach. Bars close at 9pm and restaurant diners reduced in numbers to (IIRC) one third of normal covers to allow separation. No recreational sailing restrictions so far on mainland but tourist boat owners are getting worried about possibility of restrictions.

Don't know how long the boatyard will remain virus free as, in common with marinas, owners arriving from all over Europe and with shared toilet/shower facilities ........? Maybe with your health problems, you're better staying put?

Beneteau381

Visit site
will they stop the ferry at Alcoutim?
There was talk on the news just now that all borders with Spain are going to be controlled, which appears to mean no unnecessary travel across. Problem is, many people cross both ways for work and I think most of Gib's workforce lives across the border. There are so far seven cases reported on the Algarve, one being in Albufeira. At this time of year, it has a fairly low population density and clearly air travel is the biggest danger when deciding whether to stay or leave.

jeanne

Visit site
The ferry at Alcoutim was closed today (Sunday) by the Spanish authorities, and the wording of the decree suggests that crossing the river by any other boat is included in the closure. We in Sanlucar are also not to use public roads without one of the reasons given in the decree, such as to travel to work, to go shopping for food, and so on. Food and medicines are the only things you can go shopping for, the rest of the shops are to be shut, as well as bars and restaurants.
There was a police car parked at the entrance to the village today, and at one point they told a friend walking her dog to go home!

nortada

Visit site
Serious stuff so are the ferries in Ayamonte suspended and what about the A22 bridge?

I see from the latest bulletin (2146 Sun 15 March); all tourism from Spain is banned.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
Serious stuff so are the ferries in Ayamonte suspended and what about the A22 bridge?

According to Portuguese prime minister on TV this evening, they will be holding a meeting tomorrow to discuss borders and his thoughts were that travel to/from Spain would be restricted to goods and workers only. No tourism or leisure crossings.

Graham376

Visit site
Just been told Bruce's (Nave Pegos) is closing down tomorrow. We've been given the option of launching tomorrow or, "we don't know when" so, chose the latter to stay in the yard. If the mooring broke while we're away, no-one will be around to sort it or lift the boat out. Gate will be closed to vehicles but foot traffic into yard and living aboard will be OK.