Portsmouth / Hayling marinas

ryanroberts

Visit site
I am considering re-basing to be in a reasonable distance of Portsmouth. Haslar has obvious liveaboards but is a little grotty, though there is a nice view up the arse of a submarine. I realise public answers to this question are a bad idea, so feel free to DM, but which marinas have a tolerance of people that spend a lot of time on their boats? particularly with the prospect of further lockdowns. Northerny looks handy as I am already MDL, but could transfer. Preferably somewhere with a pontoon that has a view that isn't someone else's boat.

V1701

Visit site
Gosport Premier has a few liveaboards. Would Chichester be close enough because that opens up more possibilities. Birdham Pool, if they have a space is just lovely and if you're lucky you could have great view. But facilities wouldn't be as plush, all depends on priorities. Are you enjoying living on that lovely boat?

ryanroberts

Visit site
Gosport Premier has a few liveaboards. Would Chichester be close enough because that opens up more possibilities. Birdham Pool, if they have a space is just lovely and if you're lucky you could have great view. But facilities wouldn't be as plush, all depends on priorities. Are you enjoying living on that lovely boat?

As long as I have a shower, launderette, near by food source / pub and an amazon box I am good facilities wise. Train station within a few miles also handy, given that if I move it will mostly be due to a lass in Portsmouth. And yes it's been great so far, even with the COVID annoyances putting longer sailing trips (plus my worry of rounding Portland solo) out of reach this year. Spent a couple of weeks working at anchor in places before I bottled it due to thunderstorms, discovering I need a big solar and batt upgrade. Various minor upgrades including a few jib furler have her in better shape than when I bought her. How are your GTFO plans going?

V1701

Visit site
As long as I have a shower, launderette, near by food source / pub and an amazon box I am good facilities wise. Train station within a few miles also handy, given that if I move it will mostly be due to a lass in Portsmouth. And yes it's been great so far, even with the COVID annoyances putting longer sailing trips (plus my worry of rounding Portland solo) out of reach this year. Spent a couple of weeks working at anchor in places before I bottled it due to thunderstorms, discovering I need a big solar and batt upgrade. Various minor upgrades including a few jib furler have her in better shape than when I bought her. How are your GTFO plans going?

In that case Gosport would be pretty much perfect, everything you need there but it is a boat car park, Gosport itself is a bit run down but I've stayed there a few times and don't mind it at all, ferry across to Pompey, all very easy. Premier will give you a list of available berths assuming there are some and you can have a walk around to check them out. GTFO-wise I did get to Portugal for a month and tried to get residency but wasn't able to so all plans on hold now. Will just have to see how things develop next year. I still have a job and a regular income so for that I'm grateful. Good luck with the plans...

keithgdg

Visit site
I am considering re-basing to be in a reasonable distance of Portsmouth. Haslar has obvious liveaboards but is a little grotty, though there is a nice view up the arse of a submarine. I realise public answers to this question are a bad idea, so feel free to DM, but which marinas have a tolerance of people that spend a lot of time on their boats? particularly with the prospect of further lockdowns. Northerny looks handy as I am already MDL, but could transfer. Preferably somewhere with a pontoon that has a view that isn't someone else's boat.
Southsea marina. Lived aboard there for a few years. Lovely people, good bar, and excellent curry on site. What more could you ask for?

nortada

Visit site
In that case Gosport would be pretty much perfect, everything you need there but it is a boat car park, Gosport itself is a bit run down but I've stayed there a few times and don't mind it at all, ferry across to Pompey, all very easy. Premier will give you a list of available berths assuming there are some and you can have a walk around to check them out. GTFO-wise I did get to Portugal for a month and tried to get residency but wasn't able to so all plans on hold now. Will just have to see how things develop next year. I still have a job and a regular income so for that I'm grateful. Good luck with the plans...
[/QUOTE

Will PM you.

ashtead

Visit site
Life in Gosport rather depends on how much rock and role you want from passing ferries although these are in short supply I suspect currently. If the nightlife of Gosport is too much try Wicormarine or Fareham creek. A lot of this depends on the access you want but Sparkes along with Northney and Southsea plus moving along Thorney ,Birdham and Chi. We are a Haslar boat but prefer the shelter there to others at Gosport. There are newer showers if a concern near A pontoon along with your washing machine etc . To some extent your choice is also influenced by length at some marinas like Haslar have more choice for shorter boats. If you needs are to be close to Portsmouth I guess it depends where in Portsmouth and if price is important and your land based transport eg scooter on green ferry or if by car when Southsea etc wins out .

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Don’t forget Royal Clarence marina. We were there for a few years about fifteen years ago and really liked it. Well sheltered, secure and quiet. It was a bit of a walk to the shower/loo block, that may have changed, but it was no real hindrance.