Portable air conditioner unit from the Bricolage France.

Mrnotming

Visit site
I bought one of these 2200w mains only units in the local Mr. Brico for about €199 on special.
It certainly makes life aboard possible in say 38 degrees C.
My query is about the approx2.5 metres of click exhaust hose about 8" diameter in old money.
I've been able to wedge the exhaust end in a small Gebo hatch opening into the cockpit, stuffing towels around to make a good seal.
This part of the setup seems to generate loads of unwanted heat, so I though I should insulate the tube somehow?
Firstly I thought of a spare duvet, and could secure this around the tube with cable ties.
But perhaps a couple of hot cylinder jackets would make a neater job?
Any other solutions come to mind?
Of course it may only be used when the boat is on the mains, as the consumption is beyond any inverters I have presently.In any case it would need the engine running to have any hope of keeping up.
I'm happy enough with the gadget generally as it seems to do what it says on the tin, and has a compressor.
Thoughts please

abraxus

Visit site
I have a couple of portable a/c units I use at home and just wedge the exhaust in a window. I've never bothered to seal the rest of the window, or insulate the tube, and it has no problem keeping the room cool.

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
We bought one from a brico a few years ago and it discharges to the outside through the elephant's trunk via a pukkah hole/grille I put in the hull under our side decks. It did work very well for a while / couple of years but of late it blows cold for 5 minutes then the cooling shuts off and the fan just recirculates the hot air that's inside the boat. (anyone care to suggest why that might be?) Good value, but I guess good value things don't always last.
It has been so damned hot here in Burgundy I have considered renewing the failing portable or even investing 500€ in a proper split a/c combination. The external unit would not be a problem but the internal units are so ruddy big for inside a boat and have to be wall mounted. Or at least at a cheapo price level they do.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Thanks guys,perhaps the Alu tube idea would help,but it might also conduct heat perhaps too well!
I think I'll begin with bubble wrap and see if that makes a difference.I've got to be able to stow away everything when not needed.