port entry procedure

deep denial

Visit site
I've noticed that some yacht folks on entering harbours call up the harbour to request permission to enter, others don't. What's the generally accepted form - and does it differ abroad, eg Cherbourg?

Pye_End

Visit site
It varies. If the port uses IPTS lights then this should be sufficient. Places like Calais probably don't want everybody calling them up! Dover requires it.

The almanac is the best starting point if you are not sure.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
generally you just turn up. unless it's a major commercial port with lots of traffic, you may see traffic lights or have to request entry from port control like dover or calais your alnamac will advice on correct procdure for the port in question

saying that i've never come across it, had to wait a few times in the CI for the traffic lights to change.

Cherb you just turn up, just keep away from the commercial traffic.

dratsea

Visit site
Green-Green-White = can proceed (two way traffic). Green-White-Green need permission to proceed past lights. Calaisport can get very hissy if you forget to call them up and drive through their G-W-G!

Fourbees

Visit site
Approaching Ostend a couple of years ago, in rough conditions, the IPTS signals were changed to three reds just as we were about to enter. We were not best pleased so called up port control to enquire. They were at least able to tell us how long we'd have to hang around hove to, and then let us follow a ship in. Had it not been for the three reds we wouldn't have called them, but obviously you have to at Dover and one or two other ports.

shmoo

Visit site
It was very heartening entering Dover a couple of years ago, in filthy weather, after a call along the lines of "permission to enter Eastern, quite fast, in the centre and now, please" to get the calm reply "the green lights are for you, sir. In you come"

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I know this really applies to individual marinas rather than the port as such but, even in France Cherbourg differs from the South. In the South of France you have to go to a welcome pontoon, take the ships papers to the capitnaires office, you then get (if your lucky) allocated a berth. In Cherbourg you just turn up into the visitors area and to be honest I have never been asked to pay, however I have always gone to the office and done so.

In most British ports you find someone trying to take money off you before your tied up properly.

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

and if you don't have VHF, as it's not a requirement?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Dover the guidance is to, "try to attract attention of port control visually" and look out for rapidly flashing signal lamp meaning "don't enter" (or, presumably, exit).

I guess you could signal INTERCO

UN1 "May I enter harbor" or
UN2 "May I leave harbor"

by lamp or flag

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...always on entering Portsmouth ,called up queens harbourmaster for permission to enter on ch 11. maybe I am 15 years out of date. an update please.

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to if you are using the small boat channel. Occasionally closed for large shipping movements but it is obvious, there are lights and the harbour patrol will soon head you off. Don't forget, a lot of people still sail without vhf.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I understand that people have been fined for disobeying the IPTS. They are there for a reason. I know that in Ostend the port authorities have stopped yachts & told them that if they proceed until having clearance they will be fined. I have heard them make that call a number of times over the years.
Ferry ports such as Dieppe have IPTS.
In the UK, Ramsgate requires one to call for entry permission, as does Dover
In st Peter Port in the CIs it can be confusing, so a VHF to listen to traffic is important.
Boulogne requires one to advise PC of entry on VHF12 -although many do not. That might be OK until an issue occurs. Then what?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
having read all the posts up till now. most surprised that no mention of entering a naval harbour. always on entering portsmouth ,called up queens harbourmaster for permission to enter on ch 11. maybe I am 15years out of date. an update please.
At least 25 years out of date to my knowledge. Boats less than 20m long in the small boat channel do not need permission to enter or exit. But you do need to call on Ch11 for permission to cross the main channel near the entrance.

Tranona

Visit site
Thought there would be something odd. Even really bored people would not go digging for such an irrelevant old thread! I put it down to the change in government looking for more new regulations to re-impose or invent!

MADRIGAL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

and if you don't have VHF, as it's not a requirement?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Dover the guidance is to, "try to attract attention of port control visually" and look out for rapidly flashing signal lamp meaning "don't enter" (or, presumably, exit).

UN2 "May I leave harbor"

by lamp or flag
;)

DJE

www.casl.uk.com

UN2 "May I leave harbor"

by lamp or flag
Also for Dover they now like to be called "Dover VTS" on the vhf. They got a bit sniffy when I called "Dover Port Control" as instructed by this year's Reeds.
I later heard a yacht trying contact them on Ch16 and Dover Coastguard directed them to call "Dover Port Control" on Ch74. Seems that the new name is raking a little while to settle in. A bit like the change from QHM to KHM at Portsmouth last year.