Porpoises in the Clyde

Visit site
I wonder if anyone has had the same experience as we have this season, in that we have not seen a single porpoise in the Clyde. Normally watching these quiet creatures is a daily feature as you pass up and down the river but this year not a one! We wondered if it was anything to do with the awful summer we are enduring.

Any thoughts.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I wonder if anyone has had the same experience as we have this season, in that we have not seen a single porpoise in the Clyde. Normally watching these quiet creatures is a daily feature as you pass up and down the river but this year not a one! We wondered if it was anything to do with the awful summer we are enduring.

Quite a few round Ardlamont a couple of weeks ago.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Yes on a recent trip in the Irish Sea up to Scotland and back had just 3 glimpses of Cetacea (but no whales at all).

One fisherman in Ireland was telling me that Icelandic factory fishing vessels have been hoovering ip the mackeral in the Atlantic. So no mackeral run again this year and know Cetacea chasing them either.

Visit site
Loch Fyne, Loch Long, Cloch Point, Garroch Heads - all seem to have (to me, anyway) their usual numbers. Until the end of July it was seals that seemed in short supply.

Those are the very place I would have expected to see them but Nada - curiously we have seen a few seals including one in the marina at Kip.

Bojangles

Visit site
I've spotted probably about the same as usual around Loch Fyne, Loch Goil and Cloch Point albeit on the fewer outings we have had this year. There was a Humpback whale spotted (by others) in Loch Fyne between Portavadie and Stonefield early July. Mackerel have been late and fewer in number this year so this may have an effect.

Spyro

Visit site
Plenty about on Friday. On route from Ardrossan up to Kames. Beginning of June we also had a couple of dolphins riding the bow for 10 min at the south end of the East kyle

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Saw some last Monday at Garelochhead - not sure how many, but a normal sized looking pod! Was a bit surprised to see them so far away from the main Clyde; I usually see them down between Bute and Cumbrae, or off Ardlamont Point.

saltylegs

Visit site
I was surprised by a very playful group last week (sat 1st) about 5 miles south of Sanda on way to Campbelltown, I had just come up from putting on the kettle when one jumped higher than the guard rail level with the cockpit, about 7 or 8 in the group and very playful for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Then another group that were heading north up the west Kyle on Thursday 6th.

awol

Visit site
I was surprised by a very playful group last week (sat 1st) about 5 miles south of Sanda on way to Campbelltown, I had just come up from putting on the kettle when one jumped higher than the guard rail level with the cockpit, about 7 or 8 in the group and very playful for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Then another group that were heading north up the west Kyle on Thursday 6th.

I'd be surprised if the playful ones were porpoises. Apart from creeping up behind in the dark and scaring me with their sudden breathing I have never had any sign of interest or fun from them. Dolphins on the other hand .............

Visit site
Still loads about in Firth and around Cumbraes. Rarely go out without spotting a few rolling past.
Agree that the playful jumpy things were unlikely to be Harbour Porpoises. Never seen one jump or express much interest in boats. They can be quite boisterous when feeding though. Usualy a few Common Dolphin around and frequent pods of very " jumpy playful" Bottlenose.
Spotted a few Minke whales last few years around Ardrossan and Wee Cumbrae. Sunfish last summer and Basking Shark inside the Ardrossan breakwater ! Seals everywhere .

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'd be surprised if the playful ones were porpoises. Apart from creeping up behind in the dark and scaring me with their sudden breathing I have never had any sign of interest or fun from them. Dolphins on the other hand .............

We saw a group of fairly aggressive ones a few weeks ago, probably upset by the engine running. I asked them to go away, but they didn't seem to understand.

dunedin

Visit site
This is our first day sail on the Clyde this year - and in the first hour we have seen so far:
- one porpoise
- one seal
- one paddle steamer (Waverly)
- one J-Class (Lionheart)

All within sight of the Cumbraes

OK, probably not a typical day on the Clyde, but can't complain ;-)