Poole Twin Sails Bridge

jh001ace

Visit site
Just anoher thought after looking at the Echo's impression of the bridge in the lifted position.... will the two large 'sail' like sections be able to be raised if the wind is 60-70 kts during a blow or will the bridge have to be shut due to high winds????

Mind you, who is going to go out in a boat in those coditions.... not me so I guess they could leave the bridge down

Geoffs

Visit site
Just anoher thought after looking at the Echo's impression of the bridge in the lifted position.... will the two large 'sail' like sections be able to be raised if the wind is 60-70 kts during a blow or will the bridge have to be shut due to high winds????

Good point that, suspect may well be less than 60 knots, it's described as 'Twin Sails' after all. With any luck it will be seen disappearing off down the harbour.

As Byron, on Thames Forum says, 'I don't go out unless it's force 0, decreasing'!

ribrage

Visit site
Its only a question of time before it breaks down at least with the old bridge you could lift one leaf and we can still get in and out, the new one overlaps so if only one leaf opens you still cant get out !

Im only in holes bay for the winter months and go out maybe only once or twice over the winter period so doesnt really effect me so badly, i feel sorry for the guys at cobbs, no doubt some boats will leave but others will take their place.

Maybe thats why the cost of a mooring in the harbour has rocketed up in price !!