Pool of London cruising

miket

Visit site
I was in London last Sunday and whilst walking along the South Embankment noticed 4 boats going downstream with the tide. I don't think they were travelling together.
The first was a Seamaster 34 (quite unusual and have a feeling there is one on this forum), a Targa about 35 ft (they all look the same to me) and 2 little "Peche Promenades", little Beneteaux or similar.
I did not look for burgees or anything but was most disappointed to see that all 4 had fenders hanging over the side and I believe mooring lines just sat on the deck. Now it is possible that they were very well prepared for St Kat's locking which was only half a mile away, but I suspect not.
It really is very risky leaving mooring lines attached and not even secured. They can easily bounce off the deck with the wash of the passenger boats.
With fenders, it looks horrible and with all that bouncing can easily come loose and you have lost a £20 fender.

Chris_d

Visit site
Standards have definately slipped in recent years, seamanship on the river is very rare these days, not helped by the dreaded NB's.
I remember when I was a kid I would have to pull all the fenders up just going between locks on the upper Thames, this was only to keep the boat looking its best and not for any practical reason.

Brayman

Visit site
We take our fenders up between locks for that very reason. We only have three each side. One exception was last Bank Holiday Monday when it was wet and cold and just about the worst it can get!

On the tideway all fender and ropes are stowed.

byron

RIP
Visit site
On the tidal I always take in lines/fenders for the reasons you mention. However I am guilty of leaving my fenders hanging when travelling non-tidal. This is purely and simply because I am single handed. I always feel a slight pang on guilt at this especially when I used to see old school boaters like the Weeks who faithfully do things properly despite their advanced age.

Forbsie

Visit site
I fully sympathise with you, Byron.

I think it should be mandatory to leave your fenders out while up river from Twickenham. I only need another 3 to come floating by to make up a set. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doolittle

Visit site
Our Seamaster only has 4 fenders either side and we don't stow them duta lack of space or having to kick a child out to make space! What I have done is tie one 3mm rope to the bottom of the front two and another 3mm rope to the bottom of the rear two and taken the excess rope through a central fairlead midships easily reachable from the cockpit. This way we can just haul on the fender rope and draw them horizontal to just below the gunwhale and release them when in a lock. Not as good as stowing them but at least it doesn't look like we've left our washing out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif