poo

bromleybysea

Visit site
This looks like a good buy and would solve the holding tank problem when cruising in Holland: http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_20244.htm

Mind you, there is the problem of where do you put the thing.... On my little boat I can’t think of anywhere it could reasonably reside and still be useable with any degree of decorum unless I unbolt the Lavac or perch it on top with a suitable step-up, but head-room would be pretty limited. Does the affluent tank detach for disposal, discreetly covered by a napkin like the old starchy nurses used to employ in hospitals when they emptied the bed-pans? Or do you have to lug the whole kit and caboodle up the pontoon, to the general amusement of the assembled populace? And why do you need a different fluid for “solid” and “liquid” waste. What happens if you are not sure before you “go”?

Getting old is forgetting to zip-up after you’ve had a pee. Getting really old is forgetting to un-zip first.

V1701

Visit site
The effluent tank detatches. It looks exactly like a Thetford Porta Potti and has same capacities as their larger model (15 & 21 litres), looks like a good buy...

maxi77

Visit site
We had something similar in our Seawych, eventually mounted it under the forecabin bunks on some wooden bearers. Worked a treat and relatively easy to dispose of the contents at sea. Modern chemicals really work well at dealing with the smells so no problems there unlike the old elsans.

VicS

Visit site
We used a Porta potti when camping and I think I will soon be fitting one in the boat.

Yes they are in two halves. The top bit is the flushing water tank surrounding the bowl and includes the bellows type pump for flushing.

The bottom bit is is the effluent tank. It has a swiveling spout ( normally capped ) for emptying it. Just like a P potti. There is a sliding shut off valve built into the top of the bottom tank so that when the top section is removed or indeed when its not in use the effluent tank is completely sealed.

Not different fluid for liquid or solid waste. The main chemical goes in the waste tank. LIDL are also offering some form of flushing aid to add to the flush water I think.

Emptying is till not the worlds most pleasant task !

Lidl's offering is much cheaper than a P. potti. The smallest P potti is nearly a hundred notes.

Compare this one with the Porta potti 365. They do look remarkably similar. If it is the same it's a good buy. Otherwise beware of Lidl cheapies

A good make at a substantially lower prices than P potti is Fiamma. Check them out before you buy.

DanTribe

Visit site
We use an almost identical Porta-Potti when in Holland. You can sit in the cockpit & wave to passers-by [ should you wish].
The bottom tank detaches and has a handle so you can casually stroll to the disposal point pretending you are carrying an attache case. Emptying is still not a pleasant experience though, if you forget to open the vent it goes "gloop gloop" and can give feed back.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Worked a treat and relatively easy to dispose of the contents at sea.

Do you still use the fluid in it if you're going to be emptying at sea? I'm not generally one for hugging trees, but chucking sterilising chemicals into the environment doesn't seem particularly friendly.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
Do you still use the fluid in it if you're going to be emptying at sea? I'm not generally one for hugging trees, but chucking sterilising chemicals into the environment doesn't seem particularly friendly.

Pete

Use one of the "green" products rather than a formaldehyde based one perhaps.

green-bottle.jpg

Organic-banner.jpg

bob26

www.tridentlottie.com
Pink blue green and black...

And why do you need a different fluid for “solid” and “liquid” waste. [/I]

You don't. Two chemicals are provided. One (often pink) goes in the upper water tank which is used to flush the bowl. Its main function seems to be to perfume the flush. The other fluid (usually blue... or green if you use the supposedly eco friendly stuff) is placed in the bottom holding tank ready to go (or ready for you to go). This pongs also but is sealed in by the sliding trap door.

In my experience, it is best never to use the pink stuff. Just use water. The pink pong lingers somewhat and makes these loos not nice to live with. If fresh water is left in the upper tank for a while, it can also give rise to black particles in the flush which maybe algae or fungus or whatever. I think the pink stuff in theory is supposed to counter this but it is widely held in the caravanning community to do the opposite ie. it makes it worse - that is certainly my experience. Flushing out the top tank with dilute Milton or bleach once a year probably also helps keep the black spot at bay . The sliding seal on the bottom tank is usually eased once a year with olive oil.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
You need one of these

5 Gallon Bucket Portable Toilet Seat L
TOD-51645.jpg
$8.88

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360279825547?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=227997053955&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=adc442f31290a02652a55525fea0b9e3&itemid=360279825547&ff4=263602_309572

kingfisher

Visit site

Pete

Finally somebody understands. We used to flush a perfectly biodegradable product in the sea. Now we add chemicals to holding tanks.

Just like dog poo, which is now collected in sealed plastic bags and ends up on waste belts.

bromleybysea

Visit site
I used a Porta potti last year in the Netherlands as I do not have a holding tank.I had room for it in the heads.The deal with the crew was that I had to empty it.Most of the marinas had purpose made emptying facilities.Some of the Dutch I spoke to use the www.flex-toilet.nl

The flex toilet website has a video which is hilarious! (or maybe it's just me:eek:)

maxi77

Visit site

Pete

Your choice based on what you want to smell, and how you like your boat to smell. Modern chemicals are designed to go through the waste system so are much less harmful than the old eslan stuff I remember from my youth

The present boat has a holding tank and we do not bother with chemicals at all in that

prv

Visit site
Now we add chemicals to holding tanks.

Do you? I never have. I didn't think anybody did.

Your choice based on what you want to smell, and how you like your boat to smell.

I don't like my boat to smell, which is why I pump everything straight into the sea :D.

Holding tanks are ok for places where pumping out would be antisocial.

Portapottis are just nasty all round (think I might have been put off them as a child when camping :) )

Pete

planteater

aboardhippo.blogspot.com
Roger Taylor (Simple Sailor) describes the sea toilet as something like "a byzantine complication of valves and pumps designed to move a small quantity of matter a few inches from the inside of the hull to the outside".

I can't find the exact quote.

IMO, there is no answer to the poo problem on a small boat - sea toilets, buckets, porta pottis and holding tanks are all revolting in their own way. I wish I had room for one of each!