Poly bag (supermarket type ?) imprint on leather upholstery

choppy

Visit site
Worked through everything we can think of but can’t shift the blue mark from white “leather type” jeanneau cushions
Pretty sure it was a supermarket bag previous occupants left
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks

No Regrets

Visit site
Yup, i have it too. Tried everything from the usual cleaners to Inflatable 'toobshine' cleaner. Nothing does a jot.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Acetone/nail varnish remover will probably do it as it seems to shift almost anything. I've just bought another litre on eBay because I get through so much. :)

However, test on a small unseen area of the vinyl first.

Richard

cliveshelton

Visit site
Acetone/nail varnish remover will probably do it as it seems to shift almost anything. I've just bought another litre on eBay because I get through so much. :)

However, test on a small unseen area of the vinyl first.

Richard

+1. Use with a mildly abrasive cloth or a dull scotchbright type pad. The aim is to dissolve AND remove the offending ink colour from the surface rather than dissolving it and moving it around. This worked for me on that jeanneau material but, as said, try somewhere unseen first.

Momac

Visit site
I had a similar issue some years ago on white vinyl. Repeat cleaning with usual cleaning products eventually removed the mark.
Anything the is for cleaning leather seems to me to work on vinyl too. I am avoiding stronger cleaners such as bleaches as have managed to rot the stitching on one seat .
Baby wipes are handy to keep on the boat.

VicS

Visit site
Try a peroxide bleach eg one of the "Vanish " products. As MartynG has found hypochlorite based bleaches are likely to damage fabric/ stitching.

Thistle

Visit site
Can you find a similar bag? If so, try the cleaner on that first to see if it dissolves the ink. If it does, then try it on a hidden part of the cushion to see if it damages the cover. When you find something that dissolves the ink and doesn't dissolve the cover, have a go at the stain. Hopefully this process, though long-winded, will help to prevent you doing further damage to the cushion.

ShinyShoe

Visit site
My cleaning fluids:

WD40
Baby Wipes (apparently safe for babies, clean almost everything!)
Toluene/Xylene (will eat your PVC)
Oxygen Bleaches... Will not touch this I expect.

WD...

mickywillis

Visit site
Bar Keepers Friend may well work, but test on inconspicuous area first! Gets rid of pretty much ANY marks in the kitchen, but do test first to ensure compatibility with leather (its mildly abrasive but better when diluted)

RumPunch

Visit site
I remember some years ago, my Grandfather, then in his 80's but with a full head of white hair, went to bed with a Tesco bag on his hair after a shower to protect the pillow. The dye transferred, and when I saw him the next day he was sporting a very patriotic red / white / blue effect

pcatterall

Visit site
I worked in a PVC coating development lab.
Because we had access to all kinds of solvents we were in great demand as stain remover experts!
The problem with this stain is that the colour will have 'migrated' deep into the plastic so rather than just removing the stain from the surface your cleaner would need to penetrate the coating. (without damaging it !!)
All the solvents I can suggest would soften the PVC. Not sure if bleach would penetrate but could be worth a try ( after testing) it could just slowly eat the colour and penetrate a bit ( over time) and the white colour is a bonus.
Perhaps a pvc paint just sponge applied could soften the blue colour?

Norman_E

Visit site
Worked through everything we can think of but can’t shift the blue mark from white “leather type” jeanneau cushions
Pretty sure it was a supermarket bag previous occupants left
Any ideas gratefully received.
Thanks

This happened to one of my cushions (Jeanneau 45.2) when a marina laundry plastic bag was left on it. The only way to deal with it is to re-cover the seat. An upholstery firm in Marmaris sourced vinyl material of near identical colour and embossed pattern. I am sorry to say that the dye or ink from the plastic bag reacts with the vinyl and becomes impossible to remove with any solvent or cleaner.