Political correctness

whisper

Visit site
Re: words matter

I'm sorry but I cannot see how the words "bloke,geezer,guy,chap & dude can be considered to be "positive" in themselves.
I obviously agree with your view regarding "tart" and "bimbo" but have more difficulty in considering "bird" and "chick" as particularly "negative". Even more worrying is the thought that you would consider "lass" and "girl" to be "negative". Does this mean that "lad" & "boy" are also "negative", if not , why not ?

I'm also very surprised to find that to be a "manageress" is to hold a lesser position than that of a "manager" (Observer)

Nearly all of the above words can be both positive and negative depending on the person using them and the context therein. Let's not waste our lives worrying about supposed semantics, it's too short.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: More complicated still

Sometimes you can get away with calling even Germain Greer "Luv". In fact some people get away with being ever so un PC and I think alot of it has to do with honesty. If your being true to yourself and are completely without an agenda the words appear less important than the meaning.

"It's the way I tell em!"

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Mirror image

Still struggling to understand what the 'eck your point is?

First paragraph is complete tweedle dum and tweedle dee. Illustrate with a few examples to help me understand

The other points about people taking responsibility and doing better when under pressure and having no one to take responsibility for them, are what all those motivational courses that companies have been putting people on for donkeys years are supposed to do. It's not a male/female thing. They send men on courses like that too.

I think you're bogged down in a state of mind where you don't think women can believe in themselves or their abilities. Those aren't the sort of women I know.

I'm quite happy to sit back and let a woman skipper if she's up to the job. If she isn't and want's to learn I'll teach her. That's no different to what I'd do with a male, and I wouldn't react to either differently. There are always exceptions, there are both males and females that I wouldn't let loose as a skipper on my boat, but that's my choice, and not a sexist perception.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
I cannot agree

To me; bloke, geezer and dude are all slightly derogatory.

Bloke - possibly laddish, loutish
Geezer - a shark
Dude - Slightly stupid

See what I mean?

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Well said

and quite right, too. That is why I very seldom do crew on other people's boats, and when I do, it is with people whose seamanship and experience exceeds mine by such a broad margin that I have no trouble doing as I am told.

I think taking other people sailing as an all-female crew is a very fine idea, and I am impressed that you take the time to do this. I wish more people did; it would do no end of good for our sport.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: I cannot agree

It is indeed subjective. But generally, I would say that the slang words for a man are not as derogatory as the slang words for women. One could descibe someone as a "nice bloke" and it would have positive connatations. One could not use any slang word to desribe a woman positively.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: words matter

agreed, although the issue of being pc or not, sexist or not, or rude or not are entirely contained in what is often dismissed as "semantics". So we can of course not be worried about the semantics - but then we wouldn't be discussing the issue.

Generally speaking one couldn't get away with referring to a "that bird" or "that chick" if you didn't know the name of some woman working for you, for example. But it would be fine to ask anyone the name of "that guy" or "that bloke".

Observer is correct and you shouldn't be suprised imho: a manageress generally runs a shoe shop, a barketry shop, a transport cafe. A manager can be male or female and would run a bank, or a department of an office or company, all positions somewhat better paid and more senior than any held by a manageress.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
One thing we should remember

Having read the interesting posts below I think the general rule ought to be. As long as your intention is not malicious; say what you want and to hell with PC.

A bit of yer actual Shakespeare comes to mind dinnit. " A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Ahhh int that noyce.

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Laurin

Visit site
Re: Mirror image

I have to agree with you about getting a group of girls together on a boat. I spend most of my work and leisure time in a male dominated environment and generally get on better with blokies. But there is a lot of satisfaction in taking a group of girls sailing and giving them the confidence to try things they wouldn't normally do when sailing with a boatful of guys. So much so that I'm trying to get my YM ticket so that I can teach some all female coursed for the local sailing school.

On the flip side there are some good guys around. Last year I had the use of a 36' steel Van der staat. I was skipper and my (far more experienced) boyfriend was often along as crew. After a fairly argumentative first trip (culminated the boat moored, but 10' off pontoon, blokie him stood on the pontoon threatening to let us loose if I didn't bring her closer under engine rather than winch her in as I wanted to - highly entertaining for spectators of which there were many) we sailed together all season without any problems.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Eh?

Typical male reaction....violence./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>My little Princess/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifthe 33 of course.

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Re: At a family run nursery near here

>>>there is a sign. It says. "Do you wish to speak to the man in charge or the woman who knows whats going on"

I think Violetta will apreciate that!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
The British approach to child care

"Why do parents always take their children to the supermarket to hit them? Couldn't they hit them at home before taking them to the shops"? (Jack Dee)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Say \"Cheese!\"

I thought they were "cheese eating" surrender monkeys.

That's the thanks they get for bankrupting their national economy, helping the Americans to escape from the brutal tyranny of George the Third and his Redcoats!

<hr width=100% size=1>