Polish

G

Believe I've read somewhere that polish for glass fibre hulls should be silicone free. Is this true?.... Why?.... Don't want to pay what seems to be vastly inflated prices for `boat polish' when it seems a car polish would do the same job. Any recommendations taking into account the silicone question..... Thanks

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
After years of believing that car and boat polish are basically the same stuff, but with a massive mark-up for the chandlery version, I have now revised my views. I recently saw a demonstration of Boatlife products and was so impressed that I bought some myself. The results were just as good as in the demo and the level of gloss remains almost as high after several months. The detergent and heavy duty cleaner also worked far better than washing up liquid and rubbing compound, so I shall be staying with the expensive stuff. Good investment.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Some car and boot polishes are very similar in that they are silicon based polishes. If you need a grp repair done then they must be stripped off, which is why they're not recommended for grp surfaces on boats.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Re: silicone Polish

Hi Yanqui,
Most boat owners tend to avoid silicone polish because it can be very difficult to remove, this can cause major problems when it comes to painting, as very few if any paints will stick to a surface that has been contaminated with silicone. You can purchase solvents to remove it, (sanding only spreads it) but you don’t know if you got it all till you paint, and the cost of marine paint today makes it risky.
There may a number of other reasons but having had the problem once I avoid it.
Shine on
Old Salt Oz.

G

Many thanks for your response. Know of any brands of silicone free car wax/polishes??

G

Re: Polish/Thanks

Some how managed to post the same message twice! Thanks for all the replys... Anyone know of any silicone free brands of car wax/polishes???