Poacher trailer/sailer - info sought

richardgooderick

Visit site
Have you owned or do you know someone who owns one of these 22 foot trailer sailers with a freedom rig (two unstayed mast with wishbone booms).

I have just bought one and I'm really keen to find out how much it weighs - I have to trail it 600 miles to Scotland and I need to be sure that my car can handle it!

Many thanks.

Richard Gooderick

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Sorry no idea, never heard of them. How many wheels on your trailor, and if only 2 what size are they? Could be a rough and ready method of guessing what the weight might not be, if you see what I mean.

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Try asking the designer Angus Richardson. I haven't seen him for a while but his family is heavily into Holyhead Sailing Club. A letter to Angus c/o Holyhead Sailing Club should reach him and he'll give you the info you'll need.

Congratulations! A lovely yacht but, like any drop keeler, be certain that the retaining clips that hold the keel down in case of a knockdown are working.

richardgooderick

Visit site
I really appreciate the helpful replies posted to this forum. I've contacted Angus Richardson who has set me straight (for the record, it weighs about 1700 pounds and my car should tow it and trailer without any problem).

I spoke to a number of other people along the way to finding Angus's number. They all had good things to say about the boat (I understand that one was sailed to Russia). I can't wait to sail it!

The point about locking the keel down is well taken. There's an unidentified piece of ss rod lying in the boat which may have something to do with this.

I was wondering where I could find a public weighbridge and had forgotten that the local tip has one. More good advice. Thanks.

Good sailing everyone. Spring is on its way.

danypacaud

Visit site
Have you owned or do you know someone who owns one of these 22 foot trailer sailers with a freedom rig (two unstayed mast with wishbone booms).

I have just bought one and I'm really keen to find out how much it weighs - I have to trail it 600 miles to Scotland and I need to be sure that my car can handle it!

Many thanks.

Richard Gooderick
Hi Richard, I used to sail one, called Dylan, as crew, from Oban mostly between the Hebridean Islands. Beautiful to sail in all the weather gentle or as fierce as we dared. In the 80s. Love to see a picture of yours.

Neeves

Visit site
I really appreciate the helpful replies posted to this forum. I've contacted Angus Richardson who has set me straight (for the record, it weighs about 1700 pounds and my car should tow it and trailer without any problem).

I spoke to a number of other people along the way to finding Angus's number. They all had good things to say about the boat (I understand that one was sailed to Russia). I can't wait to sail it!

The point about locking the keel down is well taken. There's an unidentified piece of ss rod lying in the boat which may have something to do with this.

I was wondering where I could find a public weighbridge and had forgotten that the local tip has one. More good advice. Thanks.

Good sailing everyone. Spring is on its way.
A pleasure to see that people obviously use the search function.

Jonathan