stand on the quayside in the middle of Exeter last winter with no power or
water easily to hand, and no security which cost me a couple of
bottlescrews - I also needed the mast down to get up the canal. I am
likely to try a boatyard at Exmouth this winter but it's likely to cost
about the same overall.

The second gripe is more of a problem - in the Solent I was able to
spuddle across to Cowes in a couple of hours which was ideal if I got to
the boat late on a Friday. From the Exe, the nearest destination is
Brixham, a good 4 hours away. To the East is Lyme Regis which dries.

I visited Plymouth a couple of times last summer and liked the idea of the
Sound as sheltered water to sail when it is a bit boisterous outside, and
there seem to be a lot of fairly close destinations for weekend trips. Is
it realistic to find a swinging mooring at about the same cost that isn't
impossible to get to from the M5/A30 in the summer? How about winter
storage?

ZEBEDEE

Visit site
Yes there are mooring available in Plymouth several of the clubs have moorings available and there are some available on a commercial basis. Your best bet is to start doing some homework now, as most of moorings are from Jan for 12 Months. However not all the moorings are swingers, there a lot of Trots. Our club the Tamar River S C has approx 60 moorings, as does Saltash S C, then there is the Torpoint Moskito's and the Cargreen Yacht club. On the commercial sice there is wear Quay Boat yard, Torpoint Marina Plus if very lucky a council mooring. but they are like Rocking horse s*** Phone No for the clubs are in Mcmillans or why not sail down and do a reccy

jerry_jones

Visit site
Had a long chat with someone last evening who suggested we look at Saltash SC, but I appreciate the other contacts you give. Planning to come and visit during our summer cruise in August and get a feel for the local clubs' attitude to visitors. Also we'll have a chance to take a look beyond the town centre marinas which is all we have seen so far.

johna

Visit site
Jerry
Contact Ian Kilpatrick South West Area rep for the Sabre27 Owners Association he has a mooring in the Tamar. If you are not already a member he might just persuade you to join.

John

Sorry forgot his address: ianERK@tesco.net<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by johna on 24/07/2002 19:12 (server time).</FONT></P>

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Just to add we had a very warm welcolme at Saltash SC a couple of years ago as visitors..........we were given the commodors mooring as he was away in France.

Very convenient for the town. From what I recall though they don't have that many yacht (ie 24-36ft) moorings. (they are very active at the dingy sailing end).

According to the mags, there is now a public short stay pontoon just upriver from the club, so should be easy to check it out.

johna

Visit site
Hi Jerry
I was Editor of Rattling Sabres and until last December owned La Crevette, now at Milford Haven. I still look after the web site for S27OA and take an interest in what is going on.

I am sure Ian will find you something on the Tamar.
John

jerry_jones

Visit site
Ah yes, I think we met at a Cowes rally a couple of years back when I had dome my one-and-only single-handing experience. I'll certainly be in touch with Ian about the Tamar having heard so many nice things about the area.

jerry_jones

Visit site
Talking at length to Alan Wilson at www.divingbelle.co.uk (a very nice and helpful man) it seems that there are quite a lot of moorings associated with the club which belong to individuals - however, the club's mooring-included membership is very expensive especially if you don't live in Devon or Cornwall, when the joining fee is £300! Their membership rates are at http://www.saltashsailingclub.co.uk/New Subscription Rates for 2002.htm

schilde

Visit site
Last time I investigated there were moorings available in the Plym. Contact Cattewater Harbour master. Much more gentle current than the Tamar, and nearer the sound and sea. Shore store is secure and fairly cheap for winter but there are loads of places. Also talk to Plym YC.

I ended up shelling out for a marina berth

Steve