Plug and Socket for Garmin GPS

TiggerToo

Visit site
What is the name for a weatherproof plug and socket that I could use to join up the cable on a Garmin 128 GPS? Where could I get one (Maplins? RS? Any other suggestions?)

I am a electrician novice

fluffc

Visit site
The cable can be joined with any type of proprietry connector.

If however you want to connect in to the back of the GPS, I would recommend purchasing the correct breakout lead from Garmin.

ccscott49

Visit site
Does he make a cable to connect a garmin 128, to a PC, either usb or serial? Or should I be asking him that?

G

[ QUOTE ]
Does he make a cable to connect a garmin 128, to a PC, either usb or serial? Or should I be asking him that?

[/ QUOTE ]

GPSWarehouse and various others do better cables than Garmin themselves !! It was GSPWarehouse who literally did the first USB cable for eTrex when all you could get from Garmin was a RS232 and power lead ...

Away from the connection to actual GPS machine - a telephone socket and plug will do the job admirably ... even to allow you to double connect as you do with an extra telephone etc. - crimpers and plugs are cheap enough in Maplins etc. Mines lasted more than 5 yrs with no sign of any hassle / corrosion etc.

Rabbie

Visit site
I too damaged the pins which are unrepairable. Last week Garmin wanted £58 + post&pack!!. They would not just send me the part but insisted I had to send the whole set to Fareham. Not good service. I told them the set was way out of guarantee and I could easily fit it myself but to no avail. I found a spare one on Boats and Outboards for nothing.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I too damaged the pins which are unrepairable. Last week Garmin wanted £58 + post&pack!!. They would not just send me the part but insisted I had to send the whole set to Fareham. Not good service. I told them the set was way out of guarantee and I could easily fit it myself but to no avail. I found a spare one on Boats and Outboards for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time google .... Pfrank

G

[ QUOTE ]
Why?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pfranc .... so you didn't google it then ? If you had you might have found the group of DIY guys who have provided Garmin plugs for most GPS .. when Garmin wouldn't sell ....

The Pfranc guys do it on "Honesty" basis as well mostly.

Rabbie

Visit site
I did Google it but got a load of computer pages. Now if you had said Pfranc instead of Pfrank, I might have got it first time. Thanks for the inf. Rab.
PS. I did not see any reference on the website to sockets (which was my problem), only cables and plugs. I have emailed them to ascertain one way or the other.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I did Google it but got a load of computer pages. Now if you had said Pfranc instead of Pfrank, I might have got it first time. Thanks for the inf. Rab.
PS. I did not see any reference on the website to sockets (which was my problem), only cables and plugs. I have emailed them to ascertain one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - typed it too quick .... was also on another computer at the time sorting out a BioDiesel blend .... Oh Blimey I hope I didn't ....... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif