PLB3 MOB beacon, flying, and lifejacket integration

WannabePirate

Visit site
Hi all!

(I've searched the forums, I know some people have them but not found other answers)

Spending time bouncing between lots of different boats since my course, normally out of sight of land, I'm slowing building up some personal safety equipment. I've got my lifejacket and lanyard, I'm looking at a MOB beacon next. I was thinking of a PLB3 from ocean rescue. I've ended up with a few questions...

RescueME PLB3

Has anyone got one of these?
Anyone tried fitting one in a Spinlock Deckvest? Is it comfy?
How is the fitting process? Do you do it yourself or need an installer?
Can you fly with these? I fly with my lifejacket at the moment, just in hold luggage.

And if anybody feels like it.....why am I an idiot for thinking this is a good idea? What should I do instead?

Cheers!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have a PLB3. For me it is the ideal product as I single hand most of the time and do occasional long distance deliveries.

I wear a Crewsaver LJ so can't comment on Spinlock as they don't feel comfortable.

I fitted the PLB3 in about 5 mins.

Yes you can fly with them, just make sure you 'disarm' them before packing them in the hold. As an aside I also remove the gas canister from the LJ.

fisherman

Visit site
A word of caution: friend of mine capsized his small FV, the L/J went off OK, but it pushed the PLB on the belt round behind him and out of reach. He fired 7 miniflares, and the lifeboat was launched before he got to the PLB and fired it after 20 mins or so.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
A word of caution: friend of mine capsized his small FV, the L/J went off OK, but it pushed the PLB on the belt round behind him and out of reach. He fired 7 miniflares, and the lifeboat was launched before he got to the PLB and fired it after 20 mins or so.
OceanSignal have sorted that problem. You attach the PLB3 to the inflation tube and as the LJ inflated it sets the unit off, hopefully the spring antenna does not go up your nose as it deploys!

Jon4468

Visit site
I have a PLB3. For me it is the ideal product as I single hand most of the time and do occasional long distance deliveries.

I wear a Crewsaver LJ so can't comment on Spinlock as they don't feel comfortable.

I fitted the PLB3 in about 5 mins.

Yes you can fly with them, just make sure you 'disarm' them before packing them in the hold. As an aside I also remove the gas canister from the LJ.
I have a crewsaver ergo, I’ve put my plb in the pocket on the front. Is there a better option than this ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have a crewsaver ergo, I’ve put my plb in the pocket on the front. Is there a better option than this ?
There is a clip for the PLB3 to be fitted to the inflation tube. I think it is the idea solution as the device is protected by the LJ outer and you can set it up to go off when the LJ inflates, just in case you are unconscious when to go for that unplanned swim.

fisherman

Visit site
There is a clip for the PLB3 to be fitted to the inflation tube. I think it is the idea solution as the device is protected by the LJ outer and you can set it up to go off when the LJ inflates, just in case you are unconscious when to go for that unplanned swim.
Only thing is if the LJ accidentally goes off in the shed. Tablet type are susceptible.

Jon4468

Visit site
Thanks, I have a plb 1 which I don’t think can be deployed automatically. I’ll check.