Plastimo roller furling

roob

Visit site
Hi all,
what is the difference in the Plastimo 609-S chainplate /turnbuckle versions as surely both are usually used to attach the forestay or am I just not getting the idea?

Any pointers would help as have emailed a few places supplying them and had conflicting advice

lustyd

Visit site
I had this question myself but ended up going for the Furlex S50 instead which was slightly cheaper and included a new stay rather than going around the existing one like the Plastimo.
Cheers
Dave

VicS

Visit site
One, the turnbuckle version, is designed to fit onto the existing forestay and retain the bottle screw. It has the longer type of side plates ( 11 hole? )

The other, chainplate version, is designed to fit without a bottle screw on a new ( longer) forestay. It has the shorter side plates ( 5 hole?)

Based on knowledge of the older versions not the new type so may not be 100% exactly right.

Adjusting the old bottle screw sandwiched between the side plates is next to impossible... well difficult. Without a bottle screw the new forestay must be the correct length as it can only be tensioned by the backstay(s)

Instructions ( but sadly not for the latest versions) are on Plastimo's website. Well worth studying before buying.

There are countless variations on the way people fit these. I dont know why people cant or dont follow the instructions. Not as clear as they might be I suppose.

Also check that the basic kit contains enough spar sections. Its not unknown for people to discover that they need an extra section.

If you are fitting with the mast down consider the alternative halyard diverter fixed on the mast. It's better than the wheelie thing on top of the spar but it must be fitted in the correct position.

Last edited:

roob

Visit site
Thanks Vic, makes sense - I had a look on the Plastimo website at the instructions but still could not work out the difference!

Yes if I was replacing the forstay/ stepping would consider a different arrangement (its quite new) with a top swivel - but the idea of not stepping the mast etc appeals strongly due to cost / time considerations !

Thanks !

VicS

Visit site
Some variations I have found in the way people fit these. Some a bit odd.

The last one was fitted professionally

DSCF0431.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF0432.jpg

DSCF0435.jpg

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
IIRC, mine is fitted around the existing bottle screw which was set up at the correct tension before the R/R plates were connected to the bow fitting. This means that I can undo the plates & slide the drum & foil up a few inches out of the way to adjust the bottle screw if necessary.

roob

Visit site
Yep Searush it would seem from Vic and your comments that the bottle screw adjustment is not the easiest once fitted - so will try setting the forestay bottle before fitting and drop off backstay tension to fit

Thanks Gents -appreciated

VicS

Visit site
IIRC, mine is fitted around the existing bottle screw which was set up at the correct tension before the R/R plates were connected to the bow fitting. This means that I can undo the plates & slide the drum & foil up a few inches out of the way to adjust the bottle screw if necessary.

You will have to add a picture of yours to my collection!

VicMallows

Visit site
I would just add to consider how your installation might impede on your anchor arrangements. I originally chose to set my furling drum as low as possible to maximize sail area.....and have always regretted it! I would now choose to put the drum at least 400cm above the deck.

Vic

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
You will have to add a picture of yours to my collection!

bow.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a better pic, but looking at it I could only get one side off, but that would do to adjust the forestay in situ. A bar with 2 spring clips would do what I said, but I'm pretty sure that is a headed clevis pin with one spring clip, so it would have to be withdrawn completely - which might affect the tension slightly.:D

VicS

Visit site
I would just add to consider how your installation might impede on your anchor arrangements. I originally chose to set my furling drum as low as possible to maximize sail area.....and have always regretted it! I would now choose to put the drum at least 400cm above the deck.

Vic

It's a good point.
The next photo in my series will be of a boat with twin forestays, one with a Plastimo furler, fitted either side of the bow roller.

Dunno what type of anchor will fit through the 3" gap between them.

Id think Roobs drum will be high enough if he retains the bottle screw and existing stay and uses the long sideplates, but to get it 40cm high I expect he'll need to extend the sideplates if the sail luff length permits.