Plastimo, advansea instruments

keithgdg

Visit site
Hi all,

Please help a confused live aboard who still thinks that electrics is white man's magic.
I have recently had to replace my paddle wheel sensor to the multi S400 instrument. This is linked via the nmea to the wind 'a' instrument to give me alternative true and apparent wind speeds. All has been fine until the paddle wheel gave up the ghost at the end of last summer. I have now replaced it and tested it and it works just fine giving me the log speed I know and love. My only problem is that the true and apparent wind displays are now reversed such that when I should be displaying true wind the panel gives me apparent wind as being true wind and if I switch to apparent wind I get a true wind reading.

Any advice or tips may well be of help.

Thank you
Keith

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
That's interesting. Presumably it must either be the paddlewheel is running backwards, which seems unlikely, or the NMEA +ve and -ve output connections from the paddlewheel or between the instruments are the wrong way round. I would have thought that the latter would mean that the instrument would not work at all but I can't think of anything else. :confused:

Richard

keithgdg

Visit site
Thanks Richard. I've got the question in with plastimo too. Hopefully their technician can shed a little light when when he gets back from his hols next Tuesday. Good to know it's not only me that's dumbfounded by this though, it means I'm still sane, hurray!!

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Hi all,
This is linked via the nmea to the wind 'a' instrument to give me alternative true and apparent wind speeds.
Any advice or tips may well be of help.
Keith

Are you sure?

The Advansea has an Orange lead which is a proprietary network data cable.

The NMEA cable (cant remember the colour) is just an NMEA output, so would require multiplexing in order to feed data back. I don't think there is an NMEA in on the Advansea instruments, so any networking of the instruments would be done using the single orange wire.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Have you replaced the whole sensor or just the paddle wheel? If you've replaced the sensor as a whole, then you've possibly switched two wires over somewhere. I know that on the Raymarine log I've got, when going astern it simply shows the speed through the water, no minus sign to show we're going backwards. So is it possible that you've transposed two wires from the sensor which is resulting in the weird display?