Plastic or Bronze Skin fittings and seacocks

MOOnlight441

Visit site
Hi All

Im thinking of replacing the seacocks on my boat and would be interested to know the pro's and con's of going plastic as opposed to bronze. Is there anyone who has experience with the plastic type and is there a particular make or manufacturer that you would suggest using.

Many thanks

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
I removed old, seized bronze fittings from Red Admiral and replaced them with Forespar seacocks and they worked perfectly, they don't suffer from corrosion and only need regular opening and closing to keep them working freely.

Simple, efficient and peace of mind, Marelon is very durable so don't be concerned by the idea that they are "plastic".

Poecheng

Visit site
+1 re Marelon
Had the heads outlet (this is the one that "goes" according to my surveyor) replaced in Marelon and all good.
As and when I will replace the rest with Marelon.

MOOnlight441

Visit site
When changing is there any difference in how they should be installed in comparison to a conventional seacock?
Thanks for your reply much appreciated!!

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Not in my experience, you may require more space inboard as the seacock body of a Forespar Marelon seacock is relatively bulky compared to some bronze fittings but they both "clamp" the hull in the same way!

geem

Visit site
Another vote here for Merelon. If you are changing skin fittings and seacocks they work out similar price against bronze type ball valves. Interestingly, they are easier to close and open than our s/s ball valves that always seem a bit stiff