Plastic floorboards for inflatable.

graham

Visit site
The plywood floor boards in our 2.3 m Compass inflatable are giving up the ghost.

The rest of the dinghy is in remakably good condition .

I see that newer dinghy's have grey plastic boards ,does anyone know what it is or where you can get it ?

The dinghy has 4 boards about 10 inches wide and 2 ft 6 long that slide under sleeves sewn into the floor.

Picture is of a similar dinghy to ours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240811_174523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240811_174523_Chrome.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

B27

Visit site
I thought about using the foam core UPVC boards used for various purposes around house windows etc

E.g. 9mm soffit board, 100mm wide, 5m long, about £15

Boathook

Visit site
The plywood floor boards in our 2.3 m Compass inflatable are giving up the ghost.

I see that newer dinghy's have grey plastic boards ,does anyone know what it is or where you can get it ?

The dinghy has 4 boards about 10 inches wide and 2 ft 6 long that slide under sleeves sewn into the floor.

Possibly easier and cheaper to use bits of ply again. Cut to shape and soak in paint, allow to dry and use.

Neeves

Visit site
Possibly easier and cheaper to use bits of ply again. Cut to shape and soak in paint, allow to dry and use.

Your local carpet store or DIY superstore will probably sell synthetic floor boards. No idea how much they cost - I just see them being advertised by carpet stores, here in Oz.

After that its all about cost comparison, over to you. :)

Jonathan

KevinV

Visit site
Your local carpet store or DIY superstore will probably sell synthetic floor boards. No idea how much they cost - I just see them being advertised by carpet stores, here in Oz.

After that its all about cost comparison, over to you. :)

Jonathan
"luxury vinyl tiles" as sold here are excellent flooring but have almost nil strength - not suitable for this application

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

I had the same in my old dinghy until the ply rotted through.

If you are anywhere near Plymouth have a chat with Home - Nu Sign Marine Limited, based in Plymouth Devon they replaced the boards for me.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
PVC inflatable?

Make from plywood; they will last as long as the dinghy and have better strength/weight ratio than any of the suggestions. If sealed properly they should last longer than the first set. Keep the dinghy out of the water and leave the drain open. Keep it tilted.

thinwater

You did not state the thickness, which is very important.

thinwater

What would you say is the thinnest ply you could use (to save weight) will be soaked in resin ?
I'm sure that depends on the heaviest bloke that will jump on the floor.

I would thing about 12 mm is standard, but 9-10 mm would do with lighter feet. But let's hear what the original boards were. The lightest would be 1/2-inch foam covered with glass (perhaps one lay of uni between 2 layers of finish glass), but we're not talking about that.

Refueler

Visit site
If plastic is anything like here - it would need something like rubber placed on ends to avoid it cutting the tube / fabric floor.

Personally - I'd go for new Plywood slats ...... or as some do - Ikea bed slats.