Pirates.... Stone Point..... Sat 12th July

nortada

Visit site
Good idea, that would work well tide wise.

Gitane

So to spell it out for the mentally challenged - me.

Off Clacton Thu/Fri then on to Stone Point for the Saturday, with Wrabness as a weather alternative?

Sounds good but could the weather decision be taken by the Thursday evening?

By the way, who ended up where yesterday evening & how many braved Stone Point.

Must admit that we joined the Gaffers for a great evening & yes we're whimps but our excuse coming from the Deep South, we don't do bad weather!

PS how do you turn off auto edit on an ipad - I don't need a machine to cock-up my messages!

Last edited:

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
The 'lads' were rafted up on my boat at Pin Mill when I arrived at Alchemist Sat morning having left Orford on the previous evening's HW and had a gentle sail getting into Harwich about 0130. Halfpenny pier was full so they came up the Orwell. I joined them for a drift / sail in the river then back to Alchemist for beers and curry. Good night on the mooring. They departed in the rain at 0700 this morning. I waited for a dry spell to go ashore.

Sorry I didn't make Wrabness. It was a sort of alternative we had in mind too!

Laurin

Visit site
More than happy to. Not that there is a lot of organising to do.

Big question when?

So if I get some feed back as to a popular weekend, I will do the rest.

Sorry, had a busy week. I think Bank Holiday Weekend is the only viable one for us. Kind of need low water in the afternoon, kind of need a weekend where high water is a suitable time to facilitate bonfire! Also unless you are really shallow draft I think those travelling north to Stone Point would appreciate the extra day. Sorry again for changing venue at last minute.

nortada

Visit site
Pirates Stone Point Revisited Bank Holiday Weekend 23 - 25 Aug?

Hi Laurin,

In the light of the ever changing forecast confronting you, don't think you had any option. Must admit we whimped out.

Baring a number of strong objections, looks like Bank Holiday Weekend (Sat 23rd – Mon 25th Aug) it is. Only thing High Water Walton is around midday.

A thought, as the Monday is a holiday, would there be any merit in holding the meet & BBQ on the Sunday rather than the Saturday? This would give those coming from further afield (Burnham) the option of heading towards Harwich Bay on the Saturday & departing home on the Monday. On Sunday 24th August high water Walton is 1204, 3.9metres.

Moored in the Walton Yacht Basin (Pond) Hageso is probably the nearest to Stone Point so I will be more than willing to coordinate.

The floor is yours.:D

Laurin

Visit site
Personally prefer Saturday, then can head up to Shotley on Friday via Clacton Air show, on to Stone Point Saturday, back to Shotley Sunday and then home to Burnham Monday. This is what we usually do at Pirates but with the eldest now in school we were forced into the early Saturday start. I think in hindsight it would have been possible for us had our crew not been ill, however it would have been hard as it's ok sailing through the night if you can catch up on sleep later, but if the kids are awake when you want to sleep then sleep deprived parents do not a happy weekend make!

Hopefully a few more people can make it Bank Holiday Weekend!

nortada

Visit site
Personally prefer Saturday, then can head up to Shotley on Friday via Clacton Air show, on to Stone Point Saturday, back to Shotley Sunday and then home to Burnham Monday. This is what we usually do at Pirates but with the eldest now in school we were forced into the early Saturday start. I think in hindsight it would have been possible for us had our crew not been ill, however it would have been hard as it's ok sailing through the night if you can catch up on sleep later, but if the kids are awake when you want to sleep then sleep deprived parents do not a happy weekend make!

Hopefully a few more people can make it Bank Holiday Weekend!

Saturday OK with me.

nortada

Visit site
don't plan anything around us, but we might make it in Ocean Lady if were over the bank holiday weekend as it means less holidays needed. Particularly if the gathering was on Sunday....

Bank Holiday Weekend?

OK but will wait for a few more returns before deciding Sat or Sun.

As said, this could tie in well for those sailing to the Clacton Airshow. Watch the show & then drift north on the last of the ebb to be off the Naze at low water & take the young flood into Harwich Bay & Pie End - this should give the best conditions at Stone Point & the Walton channel.

Understand that the Vulcan hopes to make the air day but don't know which day?

With 4,000 Vulcan hours it was a large chunk of my life so always provokes nostalgia.

Once there are a few more responses, I will go firm on the Stone Point Day & start the list

Last edited:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Wrabness was great and had none of the tidal headaches of Stone Point but there are a very limited number of buoys and anchoring has to be quite a distance away. If it was half a dozen boats max then it would work but any more and it would get very complicated. Stone Point is easy to anchor and there are lots of buoys available. I'm sure someone could pick you up from Titchmarsh. On a nice day there's no where to beat Stone Point on the East Coast.

nortada

Visit site
Wrabness was great and had none of the tidal headaches of Stone Point but there are a very limited number of buoys and anchoring has to be quite a distance away. If it was half a dozen boats max then it would work but any more and it would get very complicated. Stone Point is easy to anchor and there are lots of buoys available. I'm sure someone could pick you up from Titchmarsh. On a nice day there's no where to beat Stone Point on the East Coast.

From our time at Shotley we have many happy memories of BBQs at The Wrab so why not plan another Meet there on another weekend. If available we would certainly go.

Ref vehicular access to Stone Point?

It is possible to get most of the way & I am sure the dog-walkers will be able to provide greater details. Additionally, I will have a look & post a google map closer to the date.

Last edited:

Laurin

Visit site

Have to say I agree with this. Wrabness served a purpose and could be a good poor weather fall back, but by the time we were sat on the beach eating Pizza there were no free moorings and we were rafted together.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
It is possible to get most of the way & I am sure the dog-walkers will be able to provide greater details. Additionally, I will have a look & post a google map closer to the date.

I have not tried to walk to Stone Point, but looking at Google Earth it seems quite a long way from where you can park a car. I don't mind walking but I would not like to walk back to the car from Stone point in the dark as the path looks a bit rough - Perhaps somebody who knows this path can enlighten us

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I have not tried to walk to Stone Point, but looking at Google Earth it seems quite a long way from where you can park a car. I don't mind walking but I would not like to walk back to the car from Stone point in the dark as the path looks a bit rough - Perhaps somebody who knows this path can enlighten us

I did it back in 2008 I think (Clive will recall the year better than I). Path is not a word I would use, but with stout shoes it is possible and takes a couple of hours.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Drat, rats and rats and drat I say! And I say again, drat!

Can't do the bank holiday weekend 'cos I'm earning double sailing vouchers

I don't suppose there's any mileage in my mentioning that the following weekend would be good for me and Jane 'cos we've got a midweek to midweek whole week onboard

Thought not! One day we'll make it to a Pirates Weekend!

Memphis Flyer

Visit site

It is a lovely walk and is quite a long way. At low tide you can access the steps to Crag Walk and just follow the beach to Stone Point. At high tide you will have to follow the walks around the cliff top and this will bring you out onto the beach a little further down towards Stone Point. Most of these walks have been recently cut and with the dry weather they are fairly easy on the feet!!!
Stone Point is currently accessible even at high tide but this can change very rapidly. I would allow at least 2hours for the walk there and back and would recommend that you take to torch should your return journey be in the dark.
There is plenty of parking on the Naze but I don't know the cost.
Hope this helps you.