Pimp my boat

bobgosling

Visit site
I have been investigating various sources of components for a rewiring project and have come accross an unexpected source for very high quality components !

Take a look at some of the stuff available nowadays for In-Car Entertainment systems ( those hoodies driving by with their booming bass ).

These seem to be very high quality components, often cheaper than "Marine" stuff, invariably gold-plated, so salt-water proof, and designed for use in a high-vibration, damp environment like the engine bay of a hot hatch.

Try googling for "ANL fuse" and see what I mean. How about a gold plated distribution block with a built in LCD voltmeter ?

Has anyone else thought of ( or actually used ) these components ?

What does the panel think ?

Now ... where can I get leopardskin cockpit cushions from ....

EBoat126

Visit site
Yeah, have thought about using such stuff, just too embarassed to go into halfrauds to buy it.

However I am just about to wire into the boat the 12v LED kitchen lights I bought in IKEA for £20.

derekh

Visit site
I have used gold plated fuse connectors for main distrobution. three years down the line and everything is just as was. Stirling chargers used the same units for my battery charger. I see no reason not to use them but I don't know about voltage meters in fuse blocks sounds like a gimick to me.

Norman_E

Visit site
Neighbour's son just fitted a Vauxhall Corsa with a 1000 watt stereo, together with a sub-woofer that fills the boot! I think the system is rubbish, especially as the car now has a blown head gasket and the son spent all his money on the stereo!

The wiring stuff, and fuse holders are however good quality, and may well be worth investigating for marine use.

pappaecho

Visit site
I got fed up with so called marine quality cigar lighters as a source of power and buy gold plated terminals from Maplin. They are colour coded red/black and they have three modes of use. Mode 1 is plug banana plugs in the end. Mode two is partly unscrew the colour coded knobs and use spade connectors. Mode 3 is to further unscrew the knobs to expose a hole through the unit which takes bare wires. They cost half of marine cigar lighter units and totally robust taking easily 12-16 amps, without getting hot. Got a set in each cabin and a set in a cockpit locker.

Norman_E

Visit site
It is quite safe at present, he cannot drive it anywhere because of the blown head gasket. He is however the same lad who wrote off his first car within 6 hours of getting it! (he had not even had it long enough to fit a stereo).