Pilot Cutter & Gaff Rig boat race

1937rogerdon

Visit site
Three pilot cutters the Mascot,Peggy & Olga and the 1935 10m gaff ketch "Rawanah" built by Harry King to a design by Maurice Griffiths crossed the starting line off Barry at 07-00 on Sunday morning with a very light NE breeze. A fine sight as all the boats had set topsails and flying jibs .
They lost the wind with the turn of the tide late in the afternoon, but eventually they rounded the Horse shoe and in the early hours of Monday the Scarweather. Once again the wind fell light and when again the tide turned the leading boats had made up as far as Nash. With time constraints on the Pilot Cutters and the need to catch tides up-to Bristol the three Cutters retired and motored over the tide to Barry. However, "Rawamah" anchored and waited for the flood and made up to Barry in the early evening with less than 30 minutes of that tide to run.
Unfortunally, the Pilot Cutters had left the harbour, but the Barry Y.C. Commodore presented John Cochrane the Channel Cup and the Defaced Club Burgee.

At meeting with the Pilot Cutters Owners it was agreed that the event should be run again over the Bank Holiday and Tony Winter of Mascott will be contacting owners of Luke Powell Replicas and other Gaff rigged boats with the intention of increasing the numbers for next years event.

Allan

Visit site
I sailed back from Watchet to my home port of Cardiff for the 15-15 locking through the barrage yesterday. we were followed up to Rainnie by a beautifull craft under full sail, sounds like it was one of the above? We were sailing under just a cruising chute (pink and white). As the winds were light SWMBO was helming so I could look around. SWMBO is is far better in light winds than me, she seems to have a much better feel!
Please thank the boat owners for a great sight!
Allan

Wai_Tapu

Visit site
Really sorry I wasn't able to get down to see these beautiful boats. Was coming down very nicely late Sat afternoon across the E&W sands. The wind was getting very light and would be dead on the nose after Newport, so I started motoring and got the sails down. Unfortunately, the engine got starved of fuel by the dreaded bug, and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get the engine to restart. Not wishing to be stuck in Barry on Sunday with predicted no wind and no engine, decided to make my way back, and eventually was able to anchor in Portishead Hole at some unearthly hour, and wait for a tow back up to Pill from a clubmate who was coming back from Cardiff on the Sun evening tide. Not my best weekend's sailing, but got quite a good top up of suntan listening to the Grand Prix and catching up on shuteye.
Looking forward to next year's event to make up for it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif