Pilos "Marina"

Mwinda

Visit site
Hi
Anyone been there recently?
It is still useable and likely to be space at the moment?
Cheers
Jonathan

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi
Anyone been there recently?
It is still useable and likely to be space at the moment?
Cheers
Jonathan
We went pass last year , not much change , by the way it not a marna , more of a small harbour , lots of laze lines , there two died boats as you in , best to go along side ,
better to go onto the quay I find . And not bother with the harbour .

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
IMG_0651.jpgThe two rusty "people smuggler" craft at the right of the entrance have been removed. There are more visitors alongside the north quay at the moment, but turnover is fairly quick, and there's usually space free between 10:00 and 15:00. If not, moor alongside another visitor. Beware one empty boat which had "hold off" lines - unless they've been chopped by a passing propeller! No mooring charges.

Main harbour in the further distance is rather bouncy in strong northerlies, and there are harbour charges.

A waiting option is to anchor off Yialova (NE in Navarino bay). Shops and excellent selection of tavernas, restaurants and cafes in converted fruit packing factory.

I'll be in Finikounda (5nm past Methoni, round the headland) 18 Jul to 30 Jul if anyone is passing. Txt 0044 7548 022 480 to meet up for a beer in Gardenia, cafe at root of pier.

More detail about villages, shops and walks in the area at http://www.jimbsail.info/mediterranean/greece/south-peloponese

Sorry about the upside down pic - can't find out how to remove it!

JimB

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mwinda

Visit site
Vic/Mac/Jim - many thanks.
Will certainly look out for €5 man!
Just at Katakolon. Very nice harbour man here.
Jim - may well end up in Fini in next week or so, and would enjoy that beer if we do.
Cheers
Jonathan

alexsailor

Visit site
We are also heading to Pilos via Strofades and then to Methoni (at the moment in Zante).
So getting space in Pilos wannabe marina should not be a problem?
What about water? I would need water I can drink because we are drinking water from out tanks.

Two years ago I was also in Kalamata on saturday market. Is there a way to get there cheaply (bus?) from Methoni? And of course is Methoni safe enough to leave my boat on anchor all day (next week quite strong NW is forecasted)

Br to all sailors around here from the best neighbour you can meet:)

macd

Visit site
alexsailor: there's water at the landward side of the 'marina', accessible if you don't draw too much ('fraid can't be more specific). No water on the mole where most folk park. There's very little 'wannabe' about the marina. It's a dump. But a sheltered one.

Methoni is sheltered from NW but quite an open anchorage. Holding is good, but your choice.

Kalamata's probably a fair hike by public transport. I daresay Google can amplify on that.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We are also heading to Pilos via Strofades and then to Methoni (at the moment in Zante).
So getting space in Pilos wannabe marina should not be a problem?
What about water? I would need water I can drink because we are drinking water from out tanks.

Two years ago I was also in Kalamata on saturday market. Is there a way to get there cheaply (bus?) from Methoni? And of course is Methoni safe enough to leave my boat on anchor all day (next week quite strong NW is forecasted)

Br to all sailors around here from the best neighbour you can meet:)
Alex two options ,
If you go into Kiparissia Harbour You can find a tap on the wall if it's still working , other wise in Pilros on the mole that stick out from the two an water man come , you will find his number on the water box . Or you use to be able to walk to the harbour where the tour boats are and you find an open box with an water tap .
Hope that helps mate

charles_reed

Visit site
Water in Pilos "marina", round by the PP patrol boat. You'll need cans to bring it round.
Though full of abandoned and local boats, I've never failed to get a mooring, alongside, in there.
The town is delightful and quite a few reasonable taverna there. Despite Vic banging on about the main harbour, I'd avoid that, it's not as secure from weather as the marina and you are supposed to report to the PP in person or suffer the consequences.
Kyparissia, despite the breach (winter 2014 and not repaired last year) in the new S wall has water and, for the electrically competent, shorepower. However the bottom is not an easy one for your anchor so, like Kardamyla in Chios is safer alongside, if well fendered.
Katakolo is in constant ferment of cruise ships, the "marina" lethal in a SE and I usually anchor round behind the training mole. However that's quite frequently fouled by local nets.
Easily my favourite is Methoni - possibly the best protected anchorage in the Ionian, a lively little village ashore with a butcher, bakery and supermarket. I'd stay there in preference to all the other places on that side of the Peloponnesus.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Water in Pilos "marina", round by the PP patrol boat. You'll need cans to bring it round.
Though full of abandoned and local boats, I've never failed to get a mooring, alongside, in there.
The town is delightful and quite a few reasonable taverna there. Despite Vic banging on about the main harbour, I'd avoid that, it's not as secure from weather as the marina and you are supposed to report to the PP in person or suffer the consequences.
Kyparissia, despite the breach (winter 2014 and not repaired last year) in the new S wall has water and, for the electrically competent, shorepower. However the bottom is not an easy one for your anchor so, like Kardamyla in Chios is safer alongside, if well fendered.
Katakolo is in constant ferment of cruise ships, the "marina" lethal in a SE and I usually anchor round behind the training mole. However that's quite frequently fouled by local nets.
Easily my favourite is Methoni - possibly the best protected anchorage in the Ionian, a lively little village ashore with a butcher, bakery and supermarket. I'd stay there in preference to all the other places on that side of the Peloponnesus.

Sorry Charles about bang on about the harbour wall , and it's not the main harbour , get it right Charles , it the wall that jet out from the Main Harbour ,
I agree the small harbour is more secure then the main quay in an N NE weather blow,
that's if you can get in , the 20/25 time we been there the only place to go if you can was along side the old wreck and if your lucky there may be an odd space but as Jim pointed out they have now gone so maybe there is move room ,
I thing Alex has a 13 mts boat , I may be wrong and the amount of died lines in the water it was a lot better just to go on the wall or anchor out in the bay .
To state that the town wall is not secure is very miss leading to people ,
Considerations most boat head straight for the wall then the small harbour , it just goes to show how insecure it is ,
the wall is fine and as safe as any wall in the right weather condion , unless there an strong blow from the N NE and then you wouldn't be mooring to it unless you had half a brain and then you would think twice , you be better off anchoring in a bay , as to enter a small harbour which you don't know with a large boat with very limit space in a blow is just asking for problem when there a nice big safe anchorage .

if Alex need 300 or 400 lts of water it a lot easier to just to moor to the town quay and put an hose pipe in his tank then carry it in cans . Some of us don't mind paying for a bit of water , and if you are suggestion carrying water from where the PP boat is kept in the other harbour , that's an good 10 min walk , good luck mate .
but some need to save that extra bit of cash to go towards the new tax :)

Last edited:

alexsailor

Visit site
Good morning fellow sailors :cool:
Thanks for all advices.
Katakolon- been there once and hope never again.
Kiparissia- got the water there (was there two years ago) Btw I did not go alongside and my anchor was nicely in place (avoiding the turtles :D).

I just posted this question regarding water because I have a plan to spend a week or so in Methoni (and around).
It is very convenient if I can just put a hose pipe but I do not mind carrying cans- (burning gyros pita and feta cheese ;))

So I guess calling "the waterman" in Pylos is a good idea and then turn back to Methoni (only 8Nm).
"The wall" is the main pier I guess.

And as often said... welcome aboard for a beer.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
In Pylos skeleton marina, among the land side quays, is a small carpeted space used by "Navarino Charters". A friendly chat with them may allow you to load up with water there. Otherwise, tankers may be called to deliver water or diesel.

Reasonably frequent buses connect Pylos with Kalamata. Early morning departure, return in time for siesta is the local favourite for shopping, and you may need to book a seat day before if that's your need. Kalamata bus station is close to the market.

Methoni offers good holding and flat water for the regular NW winds in the anchorage - and that applies to all the coves and beaches towards Finikounda. NW gets amplified by the windward ridge of hills, so can be quite strong. Forked moor recommended for boats which tack at anchor.

Methoni:

DSCF0343.jpg

Southerlies are very rare during summer season, and they're well forecast. Which is just as well . . . in southerlies, nip back to Pylos!

DSCF3263.jpg

Luckily, in high summer, that's only a once every two years event! That was Finikounda quay, just before it's summer invasion a few years ago. Normal high summer is different:

As from next week, there will normally be about 10 or more boats in Finikounda occupying the East side of the south pointing jetty - end on, anchors to seaward, bows tucked into niches between rocks at the quay base, or dinghies converted into floating bridges if stern to.

Multiple adaptors, fed from an (unofficial) socket at the bottom of a lamp post will create a leaky tree of shocking electricity of variable polarity to feed the TVs. A smell of burning rubber, or sudden darkness, means someone turned on air conditioning.

Another 4 to 5 boats will lie at anchor in flat water during dominant northerlies. They're 100m to 200m off the beach, in 3m - 5m, hard sand, very gently shelving, easy visual range from a selection of waterside tavernas and cafes. Here's the quay in high summer, plus a Cruising Association Rally at anchor off the beach:

DSCF3226.jpgDSCF3131.jpg

Last edited:

alexsailor

Visit site
Hehe JimB. Good description. :D
Thanks for the info.
We are moving tomorrow to south of Zakynthos, than to Strofades and then Methoni.

youp

Visit site
Alex,
Could you please put a post on your experiences at Strofades. May sail there next week. Seems like an interesting place.
Youp