Photos: South Georgia Island, [yet more] pics...

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Thanks all for the comments!

When was the trip made please?

Very very good.

As an aside, whatever happened to the Argy submarine which was disabled and beached at, I think, Grytviken?
There is the crashed Argie chopper somewhere nearby too, we don't have any pics of it though.

Great photos-always wanted to go there- but did anyone notice in the last pic at Port Stanley-a little Westerly -surely not a Centaur?- moored alongside.
How did that get to the Falklands?
Peter says it belongs to a local friend of his, Sam Miller. The story is the boat was actually sailed to the Falklands years ago, by some route, it has had several owners there now.

Sybarite

Visit site
Regulars will remember our photos from Antarctica, Patagonia, and the Falklands from a little while ago.

It’s been promised for a while, and it’s finally here: Peter’s expedition out into the deep South Atlantic, to remote and inhospitable South Georgia.

This is the most extensive write-up and collection of photos that we’ve put online to date. There are over 100 photos spread across nine pages, so put some time aside and enjoy. Online now, follow the link:

www.petersmith.net.nz/photos/south-georgia-1.php

south-georgia-larsen.jpg

Peter and Kiwi Roa were at South Georgia for ten weeks, exploring a world of seafaring history, ruined industry, and of course largely untouched nature and wildlife. Seals, penguins, albatrosses... The island is deep within the Antarctic Convergence and at the limit of attainable expedition cruising. Peter even managed to do a little damage to the boat on both passages. Enjoy the story and photos!

The last two links don't work for me. Correction: none of the links works.

Babylon

Visit site
These are some of the most powerful, moving and beautiful photographs I've ever seen.

The full set is too much for me to take in at a single sitting, so I'll do one page at a time over several days with my morning tea.

I actually think they should be exhibited. If I knew anyone at the Royal Geographic Society - or any southern hemisphere equivalent - I'd urge them to take the intiative.

In this age of such image pollution and global tramping, they speak to me of an ancient spirit of exploration, of understanding and of seeking to understand.