photocopying a UK passport?

lindsay

Visit site
I saw on a US web site a neat solution of making a colour copy of your passport, laminated, the size of a driving license, to avoid carrying around the original. There is no intent to defraud, just to have the passport details in a more compact, resistant, format. I frequently make copies that get tatty very quickly.

Googling shows no definitive answer. Inputs quote old and new regulations re colour, size, b&w etc

Anyone done this??

stranded

Visit site
I saw on a US web site a neat solution of making a colour copy of your passport, laminated, the size of a driving license, to avoid carrying around the original. There is no intent to defraud, just to have the passport details in a more compact, resistant, format. I frequently make copies that get tatty very quickly.

Googling shows no definitive answer. Inputs quote old and new regulations re colour, size, b&w etc

Anyone done this??

Not sure what the question is. No problem copying your passport for your own reference or for people who would accept a copy. Having the copied certified true may increase acceptability. But no value for eg immigration or other officials who want to see your passport - the actual thing contains very many security features which would not be captured in a copy.

lindsay

Visit site
In many countries you get asked for ID, and frequently to leave it, for anything from hiring a scooter, getting into a club, booking a berth for your boat, getting a shower pass, hiring a bycycle, visiting a public place etc. In France, for example, a driving licence will often suffice, but you do not want to run the risk of losing it, even more so with a passport.

I was interested in having a "sacrificial" piece of identification that could easily be left behind for whatever reason ie they have mislaid it, or you have forgotten it, or you have to wait for "the person" to return before you miss your train and a hundred other reasons I could think of, all LEGAL. In fact, while I was at it, I would have several copies made.

At the same time I would get reduced sized laminates for the British Certificate of Registry for the same reasons.

In third world countries there would perhaps be more opportunities to use such a copy which would have an "official" look. Purists may even add the word "copy" on it.

Nothing more than having an expendable ID!

stranded

Visit site
Worth having - but in most cases those people want the real thing as security because they think you'll be desperate to get it back and therefore comply with whatever obligations you have. In my experience, most who just need for records etc. these days just take a photocopy. Mind you, I haven't been to far flung cruising destinations.

srm

Visit site
I made two full size colour copies of the details page in my passport and laminated them.

One lives in my wallet and the second is a spare. The only place I have used one was while travelling by land in Turkey. It was accepted as ID to be left at the desk in hotels - they never asked for the passport. One night the coach was stopped by the Jardamerie and all ID cards were requested. My passport copy was handed over along with all the local IDs and eventually returned without question. I did have the passport on me but felt uncomfortable handing it over.

If asked for ID when in a country I intend to show the copy (as above) and will produce the passport if its required but its normally kept on the boat, or where I am staying, for security.

D

Deleted member 36384

I work abroad and always carry a photocopy of ID cards, work / residence permits and passports, it has never been an issue. Another tip is to scan important documents and attach them to an email or emails and send them to yourself. Copies can then be obtained assuming web based email. In my own case I have to send documents to various agencies from time to time and I find this is a very easy way to access documents.

You can also have up to 4 x UK passports with a legitimate reason, I currently have two. If I was a live aboard I would apply for a second passport and and advise that two passports are required as you have to submit one for visas while maintaining one in the current host country.

Last edited by a moderator:

GHA

Visit site
Been doing that for years, from memory Trinidad recommended a copy, maybe Brazil as well.
Means you can leave your real passport locked up when you're on the street and if something does happen, even if whatever authorities don't like a copy at least you have something to sweet talk your way out. Never been put to the test yet :)

Scans of everything (as well as anything and everything else) are stored on Evernote.

jacaldo

Visit site
When travelling I take photos of every important piece of paperwork then email them to myself, so even if I lose everything including phone and tablets I can still pick my emails up. Obviously all passwords etc are either not included or heavily coded.

charles_reed

Visit site

Anyone done this??
Yes.
Used the reduction print on an HP 85G, until it was down to credit-card size.
Always acceptable to non-UK officials.

lindsay

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. Most useful. My idea was always for use outside the UK to help those in administration snd burocracy to tick the boxes with minimum effort on their part since they have such a tough life.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Yes I've done exactly that. Both SWMBO and I carry around laminated, credit card sized copies of our passports. They seem to be readily accepted in Greece as proof of identity.

NOHOH

Visit site

Anyone done this??

Lindsay.........Aren`t you going to share the details of the US website with us?

Everyone seems to think its a good idea to make copies

lindsay

Visit site
How could i refuse? Dont have precise details anymore but:

hobotrave!er.com ...... andy graham videos.....

should get it

Quite entertaining site from an apparent cheery zen traveler who offers insight in anything from cheap hotels in Togo, an interesting 3 part interview with a south african liveaboard on a 35 foot yacht in rio dulce guatemala, how to sew a secret pocket in your pants, sorry trousers, to excercises for an enlarged prostate in a country where public toilets are in short supply

i look at the site about once a month to get some light hearted travel tips

Happy reading!

mikenfi

Visit site
Nobody every asks for our passports! We are still in France though! We must look more trustworthy than you scurvey dogs!