Photo story - Saint Helena

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Our last entry was from Namibia, from there Kiwi Roa headed transatlantic, first stop Saint Helena...

St. Helena Photo Story (1): Transatlantic

og-st-helena.180418.jpg

Five pages of photos.

A print version was also in the February edition of Sailing Today.

Enjoy, and subscribe to email updates from the website directly if you're interested in future stories. We'll be working through the North Atlantic from one hemisphere to the other.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When were you there, as a matter of interest? I'm guessing a few years ago, since the airport was finished in 2016 and the RMS St Helena is now a floating armoury on the other side of Africa.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thats news to me

there is no passenger service but still a cargo service.

Here's the schedule

http://rms-st-helena.com/schedules-fares/

Departs Cape Town tomorrow.

You'll see that (a) that page starts

The RMS St Helena has now completed her service to St Helena and Ascension Islands. For travel to the Island flights are available via SA Airlink from Johannesburg to St Helena International Airport.​

and (b) that the sailings it lists are by her successor, the MV Helena, which doesn't take passengers.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
You'll see that (a) that page starts

The RMS St Helena has now completed her service to St Helena and Ascension Islands. For travel to the Island flights are available via SA Airlink from Johannesburg to St Helena International Airport.​

and (b) that the sailings it lists are by her successor, the MV Helena, which doesn't take passengers.

Ok Thanks for point that out.

One of the SA clubs have a race to St Helena and the yachts were always shipped back on the RMS St Helena and I know the race is still run that way so I was confused which is not unusual these days.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There is (or was!) another route for Saints to take off the island, but perhaps not one widely used! Saints were (and maybe still are; I'm out of touch) employed by British Antarctic Survey for domestic duties round Rothera Scientific Station. As far as I know, they were ferried down to Antarctica by BAS' own ships.