Petter Mini 6 spares

Pilotsailor

Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful posts on my previous thread. At the moment I have decided to soldier on the mini 6 for another few seasons if I can, (with a decent outboard as backup or boost as required!) My real question to other petter mini 6 owners is where to reliably get hold of spares. At the moment I am after basic service spares like fuel, oil and air filters etc. I've heard ebay mentioned but this seems like a bit of a lottery to me just to be able to service an engine.

There is a fuel leak that looks like it is coming from around where the two halves of the fuel pump meet (gasketed joint), so I suspect the gasket has given way in one spot. Chances of finding a replacement gasket? Any engineers tips if I can't get hold of a replacement gasket that fits? Instant gasket? I'm slightly wary of disturbing the fuel system - does the system need to be bled on the mini 6 once disturbed?

I did have an engineer lined up to sort it all out today but having agreed a place and a time - he was then "too busy" on a "big" job to help out. Imagine booking in your Ford Focus in for a service only to be told on arrival sorry mate not today we're busy on another bloke's new Mercedes, meanwhile the garage charges £20 a night parking. I'm not even optimistic tomorrow will be any better, so I am resigned to sorting it out myself. Whinge over!

Advice gratefully received!

D

DogWatch

Advice gratefully received!

Okay not local but he does mail order and knows everything about boat engines. I stake my reputation on him and him getting the spares you need at a competitive price. No connection other than years of being a happy customer.

Alec Martin Marine

Unit 9, Corp Rd Industrial Est, Corporation Road
Birkenhead
Merseyside
CH41 8FA

0151 652 1663

JohnTH

Visit site
Ah, yet another craft skill that has been allowed to die.

Gasket making used to be part of an engineering apprenticeship as did making bearings from white metal.

Good luck with your Petter.

73s de

Johnth

DownWest

Visit site
In the distant past, I used to deal with these Petters in gensets. IIRR, bleeding was just slackening off the connection at the injector until the bubbles stopped.Lots of gaskets can be made from paper, which can be bought from your motor factor in various thicknesses.
A

MonniotC

Visit site
Part nos. etc.

Fuel Filter:
Crosland 489 - ASAP Supplies part no. 302078
Coopers AZF025
Fram C11941PL
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETTER-LISTER-MIRLEES-BLACKSTONE-FUEL-FILTER-AZF025-/200483409040
also:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/sis.html?_kw=2+NEW+AIR+FILTER+ELEMENTS+FOR+LISTER+PETTER+ENGINES

Oil filter:
Height : 54 mm
Ø exterior : 54 mm
Ø Interior : 22 mm
Coopers AZL043
Fram CH2841
Crosland 443
Petter part no: AAK81-6
Benford 800 511
http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=1399&title=Filter - Oil - Coopers - AZL043
also:
ASAP supplies Part No. 102443
http://www.asap-supplies.com/search/oil-filter/oil-filter-element-petter-mini-ac1

try also inlinefilters.co.uk
ebay seller douglastoadyd

Now you have all the part numbers, Mr. google is your friend.
I also use an outboard as backup, although now, after 3 years of fettling, it is now quite reliable. Remember that your mini-six is a Petter AC1WM - the M is for marine. Parts for an AC1W will fit.

Hope that helps - I have been this route before you.

MonniotC

Visit site
In the distant past, I used to deal with these Petters in gensets. IIRR, bleeding was just slackening off the connection at the injector until the bubbles stopped.Lots of gaskets can be made from paper, which can be bought from your motor factor in various thicknesses.
A

The injector is self-bleeding - one of the selling points of this engine in its day.

TamarMike

Visit site
Although the injector doesn't need bleeding it does help if you bleed the filter between the pump and the injector (simply loosen the screws on top). The air cooled variants were very common as small generators (eg. for portable traffic lights) but most have now gone. Therefore basic spares are quite cheap but anything connected with the water cooling tends to be astronomical or unavailable.

Pilotsailor

Visit site
Yes I agree anything to do with the water side of things is horrific - over £300 for a new water pump! Hopefully should see out the life of the engine now though. Apparently a replacement head is £800+ so I am pleased I have a spare.

With regard to bleeding there seems to be a little lever on the side of the pump - I presume this is to manually operate the pump to prime the system? The plan is to remove the pump, separate it and fit a new gasket. If I get stuck can anyone recommend a half decent engineer Hayling Island Way who won't charge the earth and won't agree to help then let me down?

Thanks everyone for your posts - enough to keep me busy for quite some time. I do enjoy tinkering!

ianat182

Visit site
Is your gasket leak from the fuel pump or from the lift pump with the lever. If the former it is possible that an old rubber seal has deteriorated ,or not been removed when last serviced and a new one added to the old in error.The lift pump gasket can be easily made yourself from sheet gasket, paper or composite. Use the old one as a pattern.
If there is a water separator fitted be aware that the gaskets for the upper 'lid' of the separator are a different diameter from the lower one beneath the glass bowl. Often a cuse for fuel/air leaks.

ianat182

Pilotsailor

Visit site
Petter fuel leak

Right -having given up on the engineer who was as much help as a paper brolly in a rainstorm,(he still couldn't be bothered to look at it despite my boat racking up £20 a night mooring fees) I decided to take matters into my own hands.

There was a definite leak from around the lift pump gasket. I dismantled it and found the gasket to be in perfect condition so I reassembled it, tightened up all the screws and hey presto - no leak! Horay I've fixed it I thought. Cleared and dried up all the residual fuel, and set sail home.

Alas not -after an hour of motoring back to my mooring I opened the hatch to find the usual pool of diesel at the back of the engine underneath the fuel pump (not the lift pump). Its also underneath the return pipe to the fuel tank. I ran the engine determined to find the leak but - nothing dripping or obviously leaking. I've tightened up the unions. Its quite a lot of fuel to be accumulating in just over an hour. I'm at a loss as to where this wretched leak is coming from. I think it has to be the fuel pump on the back of the engine. Are there any associated gaskets/seals that could have gone?

cfsnook

Visit site
Parts for Petters

Probably a bit late for the original post but... I am gradually rebuilding one of these AC1WM (mini 6). The Lister-Petter distributor for parts is

Marine Engine Services Ltd. http://www.marineengine.co.uk/

most parts are still available (but not heads or exhaust manifolds).
You can also go direct for some things - e.g. Jabsco still sell the water pump repair kits.

ianat182

Visit site
Have you checked both ends of the return piping? Quite a lot of excess fuel is 'returned via this pipe,far more than you'd expect, even on a short run

Other thought is that you may have a leak fom the tank itself, or its on/off tap or drain.

Southampton based - you could try T& S Marine at Swanwick (actually within the Universal Shipyard business premises) Scott Sandford had and may still have, a Petter 6 in his launch, and he now deals with Beta as a Main dealer for them. His phone number can be googled if of interest.

ianat182

davey

Visit site
Petter Mini 6 fuel leaks

Right -having given up on the engineer who was as much help as a paper brolly in a rainstorm,(he still couldn't be bothered to look at it despite my boat racking up £20 a night mooring fees) I decided to take matters into my own hands.

There was a definite leak from around the lift pump gasket. I dismantled it and found the gasket to be in perfect condition so I reassembled it, tightened up all the screws and hey presto - no leak! Horay I've fixed it I thought. Cleared and dried up all the residual fuel, and set sail home.

Alas not -after an hour of motoring back to my mooring I opened the hatch to find the usual pool of diesel at the back of the engine underneath the fuel pump (not the lift pump). Its also underneath the return pipe to the fuel tank. I ran the engine determined to find the leak but - nothing dripping or obviously leaking. I've tightened up the unions. Its quite a lot of fuel to be accumulating in just over an hour. I'm at a loss as to where this wretched leak is coming from. I think it has to be the fuel pump on the back of the engine. Are there any associated gaskets/seals that could have gone?

Allegedly these engines must only be lubricated with Mineral Oil and not Semi Synthetic. It is to do with the rubber parts which can be affected by semi-synt. The lift pump diaphragm can allegedly be damaged.