Peter Evans on route to the Azores

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Could this be the same Peter Evans who is/was sailing "Federwolke" ?

2012060701ax-8.jpg

HIS upper body wrapped in a towel, a yachtsman climbs down from the Navy helicopter which plucked him out of the Channel as his yacht foundered.

Sailor Peter Evans, 54, was winched from the sea by the Culdrose-based Search and Rescue Sea King helicopter after abandoning his yacht as he tried to escape the unseasonal storm sweeping up the Channel.

Mr Evans had been attempting to sail his small yacht from France to the Azores, but was forced to turn back as the weather worsened.

Running for the shelter of St Malo Bay, his boat was overcome by waves in the early hours of today and twice capsized by violent seas.

Mr Evans said: “I didn’t get any sleep at all last night, the sea was so rough. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Eventually conditions became so bad that Mr Evans activated his distress beacon.

“At first I didn’t think it was working,” he said, “but when I heard the aircraft I knew I was ok.”

The crew of Sea King, callsign Rescue 193, were scrambled at the end of a 24-hour shift during which they had already carried a cliff rescue on the northern coast of Cornwall.

Petty Officer Aircrewman Shaun ‘Boogie’ Knights was the winchman who pulled the yachtsman to safety, with pilots Capt Birtie Cross RM and Lt Simon Thompson at the controls; Lt Thompson had flown his first rescue mission only the previous day and had to hover the helicopter just feet away from the yacht’s mast in order to help winch Mr Evans to safety.

Back at the Culdrose, the shipwrecked mariner was provided with fresh clothes and slowly recovered from his ordeal.

“His clothes were soaked so we kitted him out with some overalls and trainers and a few cups of tea,” said Lt Cdr Rich Full who commanded the rescue mission – and just a couple of weeks ago hit the headlines as the man who handed over the Olympic flame at Land’s End to begin the torch relay around the UK.

http://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/4931

Boomshanka

Visit site
Seems to be, this from the Beeb:

"Sailor Peter Evans, 54, was rescued after getting into difficulty on his 22ft yacht Federwolke in a Force 9 gale 40 miles off the Lizard.

Mr Evans, who had set off from Plymouth on the single handed Jester Challenge race to the Azores, was forced to turn back after his boat was swamped by waves and capsized twice.

He said: "I didn't get any sleep at all last night, the sea was so rough. I've never seen anything like it."

Mr Evans was airlifted by a crew from RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall, where he was looked after by his rescuers, who also provided him with new clothing.

Terry Collins, watch manager at Falmouth Coastguard, which co-ordinated the rescue, said: "We do advise anyone setting out on the water to take heed of weather forecasts and do not make journeys in conditions unsuitable for their vessel.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18350146

Babylon

Visit site
He was late getting to the start, so departed a few days after the rest of the Jester Challengers.

Sorry he's lost his ship, but very glad that he's safe.

helixkimara

Visit site
Very pleased your safe Peter,
From what I've read about the weather and sea conditions so far. ... So much for "shorts, T shirt and sunbathing your way to the Azores"
best wishes , Malcome

(p.s I need a bigger boat)

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Reading the reports on the Oceantrack website it seems a lot of the JAC competitors took a pasting. Thank the stars no-one hurt, or worse, but so far there's been:

1) Collision with a fishing vessel.
2) Dismasting.
3) Loss of yacht due to weather.
4) Retirement due to engine/charging problems.

Let's hope the rest of the fleet get in and can enjoy a bit of sunshine and a few beers before heading home in better weather.

Pye_End

Visit site
Very pleased your safe Peter,
From what I've read about the weather and sea conditions so far. ... So much for "shorts, T shirt and sunbathing your way to the Azores"
best wishes , Malcome

(p.s I need a bigger boat)

Malcome - can I take it that your year was rather 'smoother', which led you to decide to try it in something smaller than a Twister? What was the worst or most challenging weather you had?

The first week was fantastic sailing - good fresh breezes, but on the whole from a useful direction. Many hours of heavily reefed but buzzing over rollers at full speed. Big grin time wrapped in a boat. However, I think it was a challenge of two halves. Those with the quicker/bigger boats seemed to get rather nearer the finish line before the conditions changed. Being near the end must give quite a psychological boost.

helixkimara

Visit site
Malcome - can I take it that your year was rather 'smoother', which led you to decide to try it in something smaller than a Twister? What was the worst or most challenging weather you had?

The first week was fantastic sailing - good fresh breezes, but on the whole from a useful direction. Many hours of heavily reefed but buzzing over rollers at full speed. Big grin time wrapped in a boat. However, I think it was a challenge of two halves. Those with the quicker/bigger boats seemed to get rather nearer the finish line before the conditions changed. Being near the end must give quite a psychological boost.

This prompted me to get my logbook out from JAC08 and it seems that the weather was "better" than this JAC12. I started off 6 days after everyone else and received slightly different weather than the rest. I'll give you a summary from my log. (Set off on Friday 6th June,... I know)
Fri. W3 -5 Sat NW 0-2 Sun.NW 0-3 Mon.NW-N 1 -6 Tue. N - NE5-6 Wed.NE - W 3-4. Thu.E 0-1. Fri. NE-E-SE-S 2-5. Sat. SSW 6-7 touching 8. Sun.SW 7 Mon. N7 touching 8. Tue.S 5-6. Wed SW 3. Thur. SW 5-6. Fri SW 6-7. Sat.SW - NW 5-7. Sun NW3 -SW3. Mon.SW 6 -7 .
Tue NW4. Wed. S 0-1.
As can be seen, allot of headwinds but allot of helpful winds too.

No, the reason I'm looking to sail my Hurley 22 is 3 fold. 1) had to sell Helix so cant sail her now. (there was tears)
2) Influences from Roger Taylor and Mingming, unsinkable strong sealed small yacht
3) Thats all I can afford.
Regards. Malc