Perspex window thickness?

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

Looking at buying new perspex windows and struggling to find any recommendations about desired thickness.

I'm assuming that some clever person has worked out the minimum thickness of perspex required per maximum height or width of the window span???

Cheers,
Ian

post deleted

Last edited:

IanVonLux

Visit site
You could employ beam theory for a simply supported beam. Work out the second moment of inertia and the load for forces derived from a body of water under X meters head.
Or you could just state that 8mm polycarbonate will be perfectly sufficient for anything short of a mortar round

Beam theory it is then! Thank you Scruff x

IanVonLux

Visit site
e 6mm thick, long but only about 7" tall. I did in fact try and break the J27 windows which were badly crazed but it was very difficult and had to resort to a club hammer with the Perspex clamped in a heavy vice and it took about 3 blows before it broke. .

Thanks

IanVonLux

Visit site
NormanS;6772048ook the trouble to give at least some idea of the size of his windows? Without that information said:
I'm looking for an equation or predictive model that i can calculate myself. I'm trying to avoid anecdotal responses.

IanVonLux

Visit site
With the greatest respect, you’ve given those who might help virtually no contextual information at all.

Disagree. I'm looking for a scientifically reproducible method of calculating the appropriate thickness of perspex required for a given span. I'm not asking anybody to do that calculation for me.

I'm trying to avoid anecdotal responses.

greggron

Visit site
Disagree. I'm looking for a scientifically reproducible method of calculating the appropriate thickness of perspex required for a given span. I'm not asking anybody to do that calculation for me.

Stating that in your OP might have been a helpful step that would it not?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I think you calculation needs more thought process 1 mm of perspex will do , but what forces will
a/ push it in
b/ shatter it

so in theory you really would need to work out your A/ sailing areas B/ What weather would you expect to see
This then leads you into forces
The formula for force says force is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). If you have any two of the three variables, you can solve for the third. Force is measured in Newtons (N), mass in kilograms (kg), and acceleration in meters per second squared ( m/s2 )

But this would be difficult because you would need to know the Acceleration of the wave or the Mass to work out the force against the perspex
Then you would need to understand the perspex and how it was made
I have a link to a great Plastic shop with a PDF with a lot of technical dat for you to browse and maybe come up wih a formula for two objects colliding which would be Pressure and force I think:confused:
Pressure and force are related, and so you can calculate one if you know the other by using the physics equation, P = F/A. Because pressure is force divided by area, its meter-kilogram-second (MKS) units are newtons per square meter, or N/m2.

But as you can imagine this is a boaty forum and you are asking the impossible question without being either a Maths or physics Genius:p

https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/perspex-design-guide.pdf
Page 5 is good
Page 24 also for wind speeds

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I think you calculation needs more thought process 1 mm of perspex will do , but what forces will
a/ push it in
b/ shatter it

so in theory you really would need to work out your A/ sailing areas B/ What weather would you expect to see
This then leads you into forces
The formula for force says force is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). If you have any two of the three variables, you can solve for the third. Force is measured in Newtons (N), mass in kilograms (kg), and acceleration in meters per second squared ( m/s2 )

But this would be difficult because you would need to know the Acceleration of the wave or the Mass to work out the force against the perspex
Then you would need to understand the perspex and how it was made
I have a link to a great Plastic shop with a PDF with a lot of technical dat for you to browse and maybe come up wih a formula for two objects colliding which would be Pressure and force I think:confused:
Pressure and force are related, and so you can calculate one if you know the other by using the physics equation, P = F/A. Because pressure is force divided by area, its meter-kilogram-second (MKS) units are newtons per square meter, or N/m2.

But as you can imagine this is a boaty forum and you are asking the impossible question without being either a Maths or physics Genius:p

https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/perspex-design-guide.pdf
Page 5 is good
Page 24 also for wind speeds

Then add in grade of Perspex, exposure to sunlight, amount of curvature the material is exposed to, allowance for age. I am sure you could go on. Or just tell formites the intended cruising area, type of boat and size of windows and some decent chap will say you boat sounds pretty similar to mine, this has worked for me for the last twenty years......

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Then add in grade of Perspex, exposure to sunlight, amount of curvature the material is exposed to, allowance for age. I am sure you could go on. Or just tell formites the intended cruising area, type of boat and size of windows and some decent chap will say you boat sounds pretty similar to mine, this has worked for me for the last twenty years......

You said it is so much less words than me :D

JumbleDuck

Visit site

In that case you want to read up on plate bending theory, which is an extension of beam bending theory into two dimensions.

This is quite good for a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_theory

VicS

Visit site
I'm looking for a scientifically reproducible method of calculating the appropriate thickness of perspex required for a given span. I'm not asking anybody to do that calculation for me.

Because I don't want the answer, I want the method of calculating it. I'm trying to avoid anecdotal responses.

You better start with a degree in structural engineering then buy the most comprehensive text book you can find on yacht and boat design.