perkins 4108

G

I have just bought a boat with a perkins 4108 engine with what look to be an original perkins marine gearbox. Although sold by perkins they do not seem to have manufactured gearboxes but I am unable to determine maker of the gearbox for spares, its specification, and the oil specification to be used.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Hurth?

There are various possibilities but by far the commonest with an old 4-108 in marine use is the Hurth 1.9:1 or 2:1 gearbox. See picture below. The lubricant is Automatic Transmission Fluid - be careful not to over-fill. Hurths are still made by ZF Friedrichshafen AG in Germany, but there are plenty of old ones and spares available in the UK.

F12081.jpg

AndrewB

Visit site
Cheeky sod! ;-)

One click on "Properties" and it would have been evident the pic isn't mine but from a boat sellers site that we probably aren't allowed to mention on YBW.

If some hopeful seller thinks that he can put out the subliminal message that his gearbox has led a feather-bedded existence, far be it for us to criticise!

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailorman

Visit site
Hi the original fitted to the 4108 is a t.m.p gearbox.
i have reciently sold my old 4108 due to re-engining but still have the gearbox. this has only done 70 hrs since complete rebuild
if u r interested i can mail photos

<hr width=100% size=1>