Periscope or camera to inspect prop / underside of hull

drude

Visit site
Does anyone have a simple solution to periodically check the underside of the hull whilst afloat? I was thinking of some kind of periscope. Failing this can anyone recommend a value for money waterproof camera inspection device that might do the job?

many thanks
Allister

ash2020

Visit site
There are many GoPro clones available now that would do the job. You wouldn't be able to stream video in real time but you could walk along and film both sides then inspect the video afterwards. I've just bought an Akaso on Amazon for £70 which gives really good 4K video. You'd just need to make up a pole to mount it on.

I do happen to have an ROV which I was thinking of turning into a business venture around the Poole / Southampton area inspecting hulls, buoys, marine structures etc. but I don't know yet what potential there is. Not a solution for you, at £2,500 to buy. :D

penfold

Visit site
Occasionally daydreamed about doing similar up here, but never had enough spare money to indulge in the ROV and I'd be a lousy boss and a terrible employee. What make is it?
I do happen to have an ROV which I was thinking of turning into a business venture around the Poole / Southampton area inspecting hulls, buoys, marine structures etc. but I don't know yet what potential there is. Not a solution for you, at £2,500 to buy. :D

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I use a £50 endoscope device. It plugs into a box which connects to my phone. Google will help identify a suitable device. I can view or record.

It was an impulse buy, don't know the make, its on the boat, so cant check.

colind3782

Visit site
I use a long USB endoscope attached to a long bent pole, in my case the pole from a Scrubbis system, which plugs into my laptop. The view is better in clearer water but it lets me check my shaft anodes etc.

drude

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I like the endoscope idea especially the live view aspect. Didn’t realise they were affordable. Will try one out.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
After wintering afloat in Corsica in 2006 we were lifted out for antifouling. The man on the quay used a submerged camera on a pole with the display in the crane cab to ensure that strops were placed correctly. This is the only time I have experienced this but would be delighted to see it in general use.

Minerva

Visit site
I bought an endoscope the other week to trace a stubborn small oil leak on the engine - I got one with out monitor so it shows on my phone. Read the blurb - some are designed so the focal length is only 30mm or so (designed to go down pipes etc). The one I bought has a longer 500mm focal length and is waterproof.

Would recommend, think it will come in handy ( certainly found what I suspect is the oil leak for me!)

ash2020

Visit site
Occasionally daydreamed about doing similar up here, but never had enough spare money to indulge in the ROV and I'd be a lousy boss and a terrible employee. What make is it?
It's a Chasing M2. The grabber is amazing. The only thing I had to mod was to print some outriggers to move the lights further away from the lens because there was a lot of backscatter when the water isn't perfectly clear. The manoeuvrability is incredible, you can go sideways easily. I used to be on the West coast, Oban, so I was looking forward to diving some wrecks.

ash2020

Visit site
That looks brilliant! Do youthiuk you could collect scallops with it?
Like anything, it needs a bit of practice but definitely you could. I guess you might need to slightly alter the grabber fixing so that the jaws were vertical rather than horizontal. I took it down to 100 metres in Loch Ness, doing some filming for Japanese TV. Sadly we didn't find any monsters!

Bilgediver

Visit site
Does anyone have a simple solution to periodically check the underside of the hull whilst afloat? I was thinking of some kind of periscope. Failing this can anyone recommend a value for money waterproof camera inspection device that might do the job.

many thanks
Allister
I have a viewing tube made out of 4" plastic drain pipe with a thick perspex circular glass clamped in at one end. I t is great for looking at the prop. It is just over a metre long which is fine for a Centaur.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a viewing tube made out of 4" plastic drain pipe with a thick perspex circular glass clamped in at one end. I t is great for looking at the prop. It is just over a metre long which is fine for a Centaur.
I made a tube like that but mine is not long enough as my boat is much bigger it also need some wights to reduce its buoyancy

I also have one of these

nuova-rade-aquascope-jointed.jpg

XDC

Visit site
Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I also have a USB snake.

Dows any one know of a device that I can plug the USB in to that will send the signal to Wi-Fi to a smart phone or I pad