Paying guests/charter?

G

Hi,
As I'm a newcomer to this field, could anybody help me with the following?
I'm hoping to spend some time in the Med next year, and am looking at ways of funding this.
If I take paying guests on my boat, even though I determine the course and destination does this constitute charter in this or any other country, and if so how do I do it legally?
All advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete.

iangrant

Visit site
I'm not a legal beagle but would suggest the first call would be to your insurance company, if they get any sniff of charter/payment/reward then, well you can guess the rest !!!!

I've just bought an ex charter boat, and got a very snotty letter from the Dept of Transport 'cause I didn't reply to their first one about transfer of YBDSA sticker/ownership etc.. came recorded.

If however it were friends who offered you a gift after the trip then it's not a charter/rent.

I think it's like most things, don't get caught, if it can go wrong it will, and the injured party will prosocute, and you won't be insured--- AAAARRRGGGGGGGG!

iangrant

Visit site
Oh, and bye the bye, it's a long and detailed list of inspections and requirements to do it right, like changing the fuel lines, lee cloths for all bunks, master switches, +++

Good luck
Ian