Patchy teak

Jack-p

Visit site
16704A5E-DC64-4E36-8B62-BB71301D7A3C.jpeg
Hello guys
Does anyone know what causes this to happen to the teak deck?
It’s definitely not any type of oil staining.
The teak has been acid cleaned to try and remove the patches/ stains but it’s not making any difference.
What would you guys recommend?
Many thanks

rafiki_

Visit site
View attachment 143420
Hello guys
Does anyone know what causes this to happen to the teak deck?
It’s definitely not any type of oil staining.
The teak has been acid cleaned to try and remove the patches/ stains but it’s not making any difference.
What would you guys recommend?
Many thanks
Looks like it might have been varnished which is now falling off? If so it would need to be sanded back. JRudge could well be right that it has been oiled, and Wessex 2 pack cleaning will sort it out. Followed by a brush over with Semco.

Portofino

Visit site
What boat is it first , and how long have you had it ?
I mean exactly which wood is it ?
If it’s not been varnished and the op says not oiled, then its a kind of mould infestation , damp areas .

I have great results with a two part cleaner called wonder teak + it’s sealer .You have to follow the instructions to the letter and apply plenty of coats of sealer ,But we are talking in my case of real Burmese teak solid planks not veneers on ply backing or some other cosmetically teak like wood .

@ Op how “definitely “ are you sure nothings been applied oil or what ever ?

ashtead

Visit site
Is it some form of mould as opposed to ideas above ? Patio magic might treat if it is ?Have you tried something as simple as washing powder bio or non bio a few table spoons and some baby bottle type bleach say a couple of capfuls mixed in a small mixing bowl with warm water and applied with a green pan scrubbing pad ? Simple scrubbing like this might remove. If not sandpaper but how old is this deck ? Flexiteak might be the ultimate solution if you have to replace.

ElJames

Visit site
Try oxtalic acid much cheaper method if you read most cleaners contain this, add to warm water leave soaking over night gentle scrub across the grain then hose off.For those who are unaware oxtalic acid is from the rhubarb leaves ,Also keep it damp cover with towels rag etc, Stops working when dry will not remove varnish
good luck
Jim

limecc

Visit site
Please forgive my ignorance and ignore this comment if it's a stupid idea, but would it take a dark stain even to black? Colour looks nice in EVA teak, to me anyway.

oldgit

Visit site
"a friend varnished his deck. he was so proud of it. I kept my mouth shut!"

Boatowner not million miles away from me spent ages sanding down a teak deck on a modern flybridge boat in an attempt to get the Teak looking "presentable" , then spent much effort and serious money on some multi coat expensive goos in an attempt to keep it looking that way.
It looks hideous , even worse than the fake stuff which never stays down for long, it has darkened the colour of the teak to "Cheap MDF Coffin" and it will of course need doing again in the near future.

On my newly aquired teak deck, gave it a good soak in "Oxcyic Acid " ** rinsed off with genuine "Salt Water"** and left it to the elements.
It has dried to a nice silver colour and still proudly sports a few mysterious blotches dependant on location.
At a guess crisps and biscuits in the cockpit marinated with some nice Red or other with the odd handprint of engine oil around engine compartment.

Amazed that some folks actually allow people on their boats, chum of mine had three four golden rules.
No use of the bog.
No use of the cooking facilities.
No wet towels or sand anywhere inside the boat
and
No shoes allowed past the swim platform.
:)

** All available in your local chandlery on the "StarBright" shelf.