Passenger/crew without passport in Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsebi

Visit site
Not sure where to post this, but as it’s country related I think here is the best place.

My hippie friend doesn’t have an ID. She is a Greek citizen and I’m sure a birth certificate exists somewhere, but she doesn’t want to have an ID. If I take her on my boat and get controlled by the Greek coast guard can I run into problems?

andrewAB

Visit site
Not sure where to post this, but as it’s country related I think here is the best place.

My hippie friend doesn’t have an ID. She is a Greek citizen and I’m sure a birth certificate exists somewhere, but she doesn’t want to have an ID. If I take her on my boat and get controlled by the Greek coast guard can I run into problems?
In 10 seasons in the Ionion I've never been boarded or asked for crews papers. Many friends come for day trips and occasional overnights abd I don't update crew list unless they are aboard for longer. I'm an ex charter boat and still look like one so get largely ignored by authorities.

I wouldn't be worried if not crossing any borders.

What flag are you and does your boat deaw attention to itself?

Sandydog2

Visit site
How would you prove you aren't people trafficking if you did get caught ? The chance of a check may be small but you could have your boat impounded.

It's surely not compulsory for a Greek citizen to have a passport in their own country but it's illegal for her not to have a Greek identity card.

kingsebi

Visit site
You're the skipper, you are responsible for who's on board.
That was my thinking too.

Does she have a Greek Driver's License?
Don’t think so.

In 10 seasons in the Ionion I've never been boarded or asked for crews papers. Many friends come for day trips and occasional overnights abd I don't update crew list unless they are aboard for longer. I'm an ex charter boat and still look like one so get largely ignored by authorities.

I wouldn't be worried if not crossing any borders.

What flag are you and does your boat deaw attention to itself?

I have never been boarded in one and a half years in Greece either, but I have had my papers controlled three or four times. My boat is yellow so I guess it draws some attention. German flagged.

How would you prove you aren't people trafficking if you did get caught ? The chance of a check may be small but you could have your boat impounded.

It's surely not compulsory for a Greek citizen to have a passport in their own country but it's illegal for her not to have a Greek identity card.
That’s exactly what I thought. Human trafficking. Ridiculous, but maybe not from a legal point of view.

Bouba

Visit site
You have to assume that your hippie friend is used to arguing her corner with all sorts of authorities over her lack of compliance.....but you have to consider how it affects you. The situation maybe unique and there maybe no laws that cover it...but can you chance an over ambitious border guard chancing his arm ?

kingsebi

Visit site
I’m sure she knows how to defend herself and of course the fact that she speaks fluent Greek would make the accusation of human trafficking ridiculous, but I don’t want to risk my boat and freedom.

kingsebi

Visit site
I’m sure though if they check they will find out that she is a Greek citizen. There must be a birth certificate somewhere. You can’t not want a birth certificate

kingsebi

Visit site
Homebirth? I didn’t think about that. Not the case here though as she used to live abroad and had an ID before.

kingsebi

Visit site
I just read the term comes from a movie with Glenn Close. I will watch it. Unfortunately my friend is not rich. She works here on the island as a dishwasher and usually sleeps on the beach. Her posessions fit into a small backpack and before she started in the restaurant she didn’t eat a lot.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I just read the term comes from a movie with Glenn Close. I will watch it. Unfortunately my friend is not rich. She works here on the island as a dishwasher and usually sleeps on the beach. Her posessions fit into a small backpack and before she started in the restaurant she didn’t eat a lot.
My advice stands. Dump her.

Status
Not open for further replies.