Parrafin

graham

Visit site
Anyone know where you can get small quantities of parrafin from.We use citronella oil in the lamps when camping but I think it would smell in the boat.

I have been given a gimballed lamp that was my fathers and also am considering a heater.

sarabande

Visit site
For every litre of paraffin you burn in an open atmosphere (i.e. if the stove doesn't have a flue) you put one litre of moisture into the cabin. plus all the nasty CO, CO2, CO....

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I got a 5 litre container from a local hardware store. It was more expensive than I was expecting, but can't remember what the current price might be.

You used to be able to get it everywhere when I were a lad, cos most houses had paraffin heaters.....that's a point, Graham: I bet there is an old granny's shed somewhere near you which will have a small chimney-type paraffin wick heater which you may be able to modify?

Lampwick is presumably still available, since we used it for sledge-dog harnesses until a few years ago /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
B&Q and the like still sell it for greenhouse heaters. For lamps, we use the Bartoline odour-free white spirit you can buy on the paint thinners shelves. This works very well...absolutely no smell at all when burnt.

Visit site
Clarence Hardware, half way down corperation road in grangetown,5ltrs for £5 last summer,stinks a bit in the oil lamps though.

johnchampion

www.Boatshedbristol.com
The DIY sheds sell it in their garden departments as it's used in greenhouse heaters. B&Q were selling a paraffin substitute which works OK although the last time I got some it was the real thing. It's distributed by Barretine in Warmley but they won't sell direct these days.

If you try B&Q and ask the boys and girls there where it is they usually give a somewhat blank stare and say they don't sell it - they do and usually it can be found in the outside bit of the garden area.

I use it in lights and a Taylors cooker

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

If you try B&Q and ask the boys and girls there where it is they usually give a somewhat blank stare and say they don't sell it - they do and usually it can be found in the outside bit of the garden area.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true....they don't know it as paraffin. The brand name they have is "Parasene". I use it in a Tilley Lamp and it has very little smell compared to the stinky stuff we had around when I was a kid.

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Clarence Hardware, half way down corperation road in grangetown,5ltrs for £5 last summer,stinks a bit in the oil lamps though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad used to buy it from there in the 60s!! Hope it's not the same tank...keep an eye open for rusty bits /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
my Grandfather in Clive St used to buy it in there for a hurricane lamp he hung in the outside bog to stop the pipes freezing. Amazing what we all have in common /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the replies sounds like Ill get it without too much trouble.

Sneds

Visit site
Boom Boom Boom! Esso Blue!

Sorry...................couldn't resist /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Visit site
Going off the point a bit here,i read somewhere that Clarence Hardware used to be a bakery,and during the war it took a direct hit from a german bomb and killed 35 people taking shelter in the celler,and that there is a plaque above the door to this effect.